How to repair a split in HDPE water butt?

I have a large butt (ooo errr missus!) with a split in the bottom (it gets worse! ;-) ). Google has turned-up a few suggestions on how to tackle HDPE repairs but none seem to be certain. Has anyone here managed a successful repair and, if so, how?

Reply to
nothanks

A bead of CT1?

It can also be used under water so even a damp butt shouldn't be an issue. ;-)

It's used as std to form a flexible gasket / joint on the dagger board casing on my folding dinghy. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I fixed a similar monster wheelbarrow with an aluminium strap pop-rivetted across to stop the crack flexing, then plonking a patch of that plastic sticky-back flashing (EvoStik Flashband?) over the whole lot on the inside. Lasted more than 10 years so far.

Things like sylglass or denso tape will also stick, better on the inside of course.

Reply to
newshound

There is a lot of pressure there, even my favourite Urethane bond only lasted a year. What you need is a sack built like a pond liner inside it! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)