Bolt for gate

Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder, who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety. The gate is perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment. It may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use? What is the difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed? Is it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Reply to
Scott

Just ask any dog - they'll all make a bolt for the gate if you let them :-)

More seriously, if the thing just binds a bit then it can't be difficult to file or grind the pin to fit.

Reply to
nothanks

One used to see a lot of gates with a little metal wheel under the swinging end, indeed you could often see a track in the concrete where it was opened. That seems to be a thing of the past now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have one on my garage door that I converted from 'up and over' to hinged a few months ago (the conversion was to increase the clearance at the top to accomodate a tractor). So they're still available.

Reply to
Chris Green

Simpler to use a cone drill to open up the hole in the post.

Assuming it is a decent sized bolt (half inch or more) there's no point going to stainless for corrosion resistance even if you are on the coast.

Reply to
newshound

+1 Open up the hole with a file or drill, cheap compared to welding a new bolt on and making good
Reply to
Robert

The welder tried that with a hammer, then filing the inside of the 'keep' then filing the bolt itself. It is still tight. I can work it but I lack confidence in my neighbours (and the binmen obviously don't understand the mechanics of how a gate works, or they have not been on the correct training module).

I don't blame the welder as the gate seems to be aligned perfectly but the bolt mechanism (which was there already) is slightly misaligned.

Reply to
Scott

More filing needed and in the right place !! If the bolt is bent may need quite a bit. If you do go down the" welding a new bolt" direction consider adding a good gate closure or spring , makes life easier for those who cant work bolts and you dont have to keep going out and shutting the gate again.

Reply to
Robert