Securing/stabilizing mini block wall for gate

The gate latches to a small piece of block wall (post) that's only one block wide. A dog has jumped against the gate so much that it has loosened the post from the footer and the footer is also loose in the ground so that the post now wobbles and leans away from the house wall as well as to the right. See pics below...

My question is, what is the best way to secure the post upright and also back against the house wall? Aesthetics are secondary to security but I would also like it to look somewhat decent.

Dave

Looking at

If the wall to which that abuts is real block and not fake stucco, I would pull or push it back into place and add a 5x5 wall angle on each side of the post wall at the top and the bottom. Once painted to match it would blend in fairly well. The other option would be to pull it back into place and use a 1.5 x1.5 metal brace from the top of the wall to the house wall forming a triangle with the gate latch area being the point. Again I prefer real block and not fake stucco for this.

Reply to
Colbyt

Unfortunately the house wall is not block. There are studs roughly 8" on either side of the post (24" on center for exterior walls, I'm guessing). I can secure to these with large L brackets, but I'm not sure I can find something this large at Home Depot/Lowe's. I suppose I can make something out of some heavy gauge tube by flattening and bending the ends. The latch is a slide bolt so there won't be any slamming like you would have with the gravity latches so I don't think the stucco will crack/chip out.

I'm installing another fence further back in the side yard so the dog shouldn't be a factor as long as the tenant keeps the other gate closed.

Reply to
Dave