Kitchen remodel mistake

"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it. I've removed a wall to enlarge my kitchen, which turned out fine. But then I removed 24 inches from the wall that intersected it. The problem is that the ceiling on the opposite side is vaulted. This leaves a "hole (for lack of a better word" which screams 'mistake'. I can't think of how to solve this. If I put back the 24 inches of wall, it will mess up my kitchen island plan. I need an answer fast. Please paste the following link into your browser so you can see what I am talking about. How about soffit or skylight? Help, somebody help me! I'm desperate and, no, I didn't hire a contractor. No scolding, I already know. Thank you so much for any ideas or help you can give. Thank you ever so much!

linnette949

I don't see a problem. If you're concerned about the strange intersections of ceilings, put something in there that will make it look like you did it on purpose, a tall painting, plant, lighting...

Personally I like strange, it adds interest.

I own a Scion Xb, now that's really strange:

I love it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

The only way I can see to remedy that faux pas, is to extend the kitchen flat ceiling to the wall, sort of a triangular soffit. Perhaps you'll add a couple more recessed lights to complete the pattern. Good luck.

Reply to
Grandpa

I agree, it is simple, cheap, would look good. The vaulted ceiling is a little weird, removing some of it would improve the kitchen.

Reply to
EXT

I've seen worse designs in new houses.

Art

That's not a mistake - it's a decorative transition.

I like it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Moe

It doesn't look bad to me but you a) need more pictures, from different views b) need pictures that don't keep moving. What does the extension .pbw mean? If it it means moving, I don't like it.

Reply to
mm

Wow. Bub doesn't like much. You should take him seriously, I guess.

Reply to
mm

I would much prefer still pictures so I could study them.

The only view that screamed at me was the one looking in towards the kitchen where you see the flat ceiling and the slope of the wall. That I think could be softened with a plant shelf running the length of the wall. That might also be usable to block the view of the sloped ceiling from the front of the house towards the back. (or vice-versa)

The view towards the back of the house did not bother me at all.

If you want to post a couple of still pictures in a medium high resolution, I will try to Photoshop the image to show you what I mean.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I agree with Bub. I just don't see a problem there at all. Leave it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have to agree with some of the guys.. it looks fine to me. Leads your eye into the room and upwards toward the vaulted ceiling. I'd leave it too. Interesting ceilings are fun!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Think Sistine Chapel.

Reply to
HeyBub

(snip)

Yeah, I hate that flash crap, too. I go to web sites for content, not to go Gee Whiz!. And it takes forever to download, even with broadband. But if you press the correct button (can't remember which one) on right end of menu bar, it eventually drops into album mode, and you can grab the pictures.

And for OP- everyone is telling you correctly- it looks fine. You are just experiencing home remodeling remorse- 'coulda-shoulda-woulda'. As long as you paint all the visible ceilings the same neutral color, nobody will bat an eye.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

hard to tell.. without seeing what's below these pictures.. where the island ends up.. etc.. If intersection of ceiling change and intersection of floor change happens at same spot.. I don't see the offence Chuck (in SC)

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

Does he have to lay on his back to paint it?

I agree with the others. It looks fine to me. ...and cut the flash.

Reply to
krw

I think it looks fine. I think it is a good transition from a kitchen to another room, and kind of opens the kitchen up. A lot of times, "mistakes" are hidden inspiration. I wouldn't bother doing anything to it. If you really want to, though, you could extend the kitchen ceiling 24 inches to the end of the wall in the next room.

Most of all, I would leave it for now. You might get compliments on it. Adding that 24 inches to the kitchen ceiling could be done at a later time without too much disruption. In the meantime, you might find that you like it the way it is. If you are worried about it screaming "mistake", don't tell anyone, and see if people look and say "Look, a mistake"; they will more likely say "That's an intersting transition", although it is most likely they will say nothing at all. Remember that just because it wasn't anticipated doesn't mean it won't work out.

Reply to
celticsoc