Boiler site in toilet

My research when fitting my own boiler a while back suggests that there is no problem with a boiler sited in a toilet. It is not portable equipment. ISTR that you need to keep it at least 60cm from a sink(???). The situation changes when there is a shower or bath, there are various 'zones' away from the shower/bath which you need to avoid, and I believe the isolation switch ( DP, fused to 3A ), AND ANY OTHER GUBBINS, SUCH AS TIMER, NEEDS TO GO OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM. i THINK THE WORDING IS THAT THE 'POINT OF CONNECTION' TO THE MAINS NEEDS TO GO OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM. nORMALLY THEY WANT THE ISOLATION SWITCH RIGHT NEXT TO THE BOILER BUT NOT IN THAT CASE. Ooops didn't cancel the caps lock. I think it's in BS.7671 if you can find them.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

Is there any regulation preventing siting of a CH boiler in a downstairs toilet?

What about if the toilet also had a shower in it ( I have a recollection they don't allow boilers in bathrooms).

Any thoughts? TIA Bill

Reply to
Bill

Not that I am aware of...

I think the requirement is to not have an open flued appliance in a bathroom. Since boilers typically have room sealed balanced flues these days that is not a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hope not...ours has been in the downstairs toilet (at back of house) for

17 years!
Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for that. The toilet is next to the study and kitchen and is, I think, an internalised knock together of an outside privy and copper wash-house. I want to replace a clapped out floor boiler in the kitchen and move it through the wall to a wall mounted condensing boiler in the toilet.

SWMBO is hankering after adding a shower in the toilet, which I'm resisting since we don't need one downstairs and I don't want damp patches traipsing onto the carpet next to my computer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Good move.

So it'll be against regulations then :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No problem, although depending on the exact location with respect to the shower and the mounting arrangements, an RCD covering the central heating system may be required.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

By 'eck' I wish I could have found a toilet with built in shower while doing my bathroom, it wouldn't half have saved some room, although I suspect a bit on the 'wee' side while standing in it ;-)) Sorry Bill, could resist that one. Good luck with it anyway. Regards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike James

My house did have this when I moved in. The previous occupant had emphysema and the local authority (you could tell by the tiling :o( ) had tiled the floors and walls of the downstairs toilet, installed a drain in the corner and mounted an electric shower over the toilet (so he didn't need to go upstairs for any reason). He could also sit down while showering - quite convenient really.

Reply to
Bob Mannix