Boiler advice

FFS when someone posts over 300 lines of text, snip some of it

There's a sentence to frame ...
--
geoff

Amazing ! Andy and I have exchanged a whole string of differing views without any profanity... and then you have come along !
I'm glad you liked it...

... and individualism usually leads to selfism. It is possible to believe in social _and_ personal responsibility.
M.

No it doesn't.

It is possible to believe in responsibility towards others but far more effective if directed to specific ones than the mentality of putting 10p in the Oxfam tin.

We obviously disagree here.
M.

It seems so. Being an individual and being selfish are quite different things.
On 2008-02-15 15:12:23 +0000, Stuart Noble

I have heard that before and I think that there is a degree of truth in it.
Conversely, can parents make a difference after 5? Certainly. Can they make up for ground lost before 5? To some degree.
Andy Hall wrote:

Maybe, to some degree, but it will always be harder work than if it had been done at the right time. A bodge basically :-)
Stuart Noble wrote:

I don't subscribe to that in its fullness. While I agree that parental attitude will have a massive impact on a child's learning, it is also true that given the right leaning environment there need not be finality to which you allude. I personally went to a secondary school where complete reversals of expectation and achievement were commonplace, and the successful transformation of many pupils who one would have placed in the "over" category happened so often it was expected.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I think this is a slightly different issue. What I call an educated 4 year old is one that gets on with other kids and wants to know everything, just in case it turns out to be interesting. I suppose you'd say open-minded rather than clever. Default settings one might say, but obviously absent in some kids. Interesting thing on the box recently suggesting that most of the human brain capacity is required to help us get along together, and the facts we accumulate in our education would probably fit on a modest SD card.

Mr Cap, you made that up.

:-)
True, but already food is becoming short because the developing world is increasingly sharing our tastes. Once they also want one Chelsea tractor and one runabout/family + 3 holidays/year, something's got to give and I suspect it will be us. Wont bother me - which is why I wont waste my money on a new boiler - but remember you were warned here first ! ;-)

<snip a lot of guessing>

No, food is already on the rise because of increasing demands from the East + India are producing a car for 1000. True, you need a little foresight, rather than burying your head in the sand but it's not simply guessing.
Andy
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:26:06 +0000, JustMe wrote:

=================================The price you've been quoted for replacement parts looks a bit high. It's always worth doing a quick 'Google' check (try 'boiler spares') to see what prices are generally available. A quick check suggests that you might be able to get the required bits online for about 200-00p + VAT. A 7 / 8 year old boiler would be regarded by most people as 'nearly new' so repair should be more economical than complete replacement.
I believe that there's a poster to this group who sells reconditioned PCBs so you might a quote here.
Having said this it's possible that the boiler is too small for the size of your house and its hot water requirement, so you might still decide to replace with a bigger boiler, but do it with your eyes open rather than believe the first plumber that comes along.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

It does sound like you have developed several problems over time, but it also sounds like this one is playing a few tricks to make it worse, a boiler replacement is a nice little earner and easier than having to fault find if you're not very competent
The pcb relays chattering when he moved the timer sounds like bad connections to me, although, a 7 year old pcb might well be suffering from bad joints and a knackered fan relay
I would have thought that a 24i would have been sufficient for your requirements as long as you don't need a power shower
I don't see why removing the flow restrictor should be illegal, if it has a filter in it, maybe not a brilliant idea, as crap might get lodged in the secondary heat exchanger
It sounds like you seem able to attract bad fitters
Ring me tomorrow and I'll see if I can find one of my customers who is more reliable in your area, you will also find a much better deal on fan and PCB should you need them
www.cetltd.com
--
geoff

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:26:06 +0000, JustMe wrote:

The faults are described in rather general terms. The clock can be dispensed with and a programmable stat used. The PCB and fan can be replaced IF NEED BE.
I'm not convinced that the fitter has a full grip on the diagnosis.

This is not a Biasi. Worcester boilers should go twice that life (or more).

The flow regulator (presumably on the DHW ) restricts the flow of DHW so as to provided a smaller flow of warmer water than it would without it. Removing it may have increase the flow rate so the boiler worked. The underlying problem may well have been (and may well still be) some problem with the diaphragm or diverter valve.

Over stating the case. The modification may well not be in line with the manuafcaturers recommendations, yet I doubt it's forbidden, indeed it might be needed where the mains pressure is poor. It sounds like the guy was trying to fix a problem by directly treating a symptom.

True, by the book... In general fitters who start "dis"ing othr fitters and their qualifications/status tend, IME, not to be the best themselves.

Over stating the case in the extreme.

The boiler is designed to produce a flow rate of warm/hot water whether this is adequate or not depends on how many simultaneous water draws off are required, number of people in the house, life style, habits, etc.etc.

If it worked OK for you in the past and nothing else has changed then the boiler needs fixing.
But the plumber

Not dangerous, just inconvenient the boielr will tend to produce a larger quantity of cooler water when unrestricted.

A combi boiler may not be the best choice at all for your house. After the boiler has been fixed you might upgrade to a hybrid system with the boiler heating a HW cylinder.

Show the fraudster the door. Find a competent repairer, even Bosch- Worcester themselves.
HTH
Ed Sirett wrote:

WB do a fixed price repair with up to 3 major parts replaced. After 7 years that should be a worthwhile investment.
On 11 Feb,

At that age I was informed by my boiler's supplier that they hadn't had much call for spares, as it was too new. It's now 14 years old, and there's no way it will be replaced in the forseeable future.
Unless the Worcester 24i is a known 'lemon' it should be good for a lot longer. I think Worcester is a reliable make. If not someone will be along to correct me.
I would get a second opinion from a recommended plumber.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

the
timer),
creating
put
the
first
the
of
understanding
the
flow-regulator
rectify
not
few
spend
the
service
should
service
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to call Worcester/agent as a couple of bods here have suggested. Wish I'd thought of this in the first place.
Some quotes from the plumber. I didn't post these initially as I didn't want to prejudice perception of his advise by revealing any of his personality.
"Been to an old woman only a few hours ago and she's having a new one fitted cos it just isn't worth it with these old ones" (wasn't sure whether he meant the lady or the boiler).
"You should see some of the stuff these pakis do to their boilers" (no context, no idea but repeated the same after I said "pardon").
and my favourite:
"I know what I'm doing, I've got a letterhead".
He states he's Corgi registered and charged 35 for the callout. He wont be called out again.