bloody tea bags

but they spat on it....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Pay some extra for massive marketing campaign - Yorkshite tea. Pay less for really good tea - Waitrose essentiall English Breakfast..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I like M&S Strong Tea

Reply to
charles

tea is tea to me

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

no its not.... its like saying cheese is cheese or engine oil is engine oil!

Tetleys I consider to be dish water...

the half decent black teas would be PG Tips, Yorkshire, Twinings etc.

Reply to
No Name

Buy tea-bag squeezer from pound shop

Reply to
Andrew

You cannot squeeze the tea bag using those silly plastic stirrers that most take-away places supply, so the tag is necessary to dunk the bag up and down and then remove it.

Reply to
Andrew

Sainsburys red label is just fine for me, with semi-skimmed.

Reply to
Andrew

Yuck. I tried that once.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On 20/08/2020 14:58, Andrew wrote: ...

The bag traps tannins inside it. Squeezing the bag forces them out and makes the tea more bitter.

Reply to
nightjar

+1 I have standardised on Waitrose looseleaf Darjeeling. I like it either with Waitrose whole unhomogenised milk or without milk.

The leaves grow enormous with hot water and make a bit of a mess in my food recycling bin.

Reply to
Dave W

How does tea made with loose-tea manage then ??

I'm sure I saw a program that said you should leave the tea to brew (loose or bags) for 3 minutes.

One of those Gregg Wallace 'In the factory' programs.

Reply to
Andrew

Do you like/hate Marmite ?.

The water greatly affects the taste of tea. I get somewhat hard water from Southern Water, while folks in Scotland generally have softer water, I believe.

Reply to
Andrew

So the pores in the tea bag are fine enough to filter tannin molecules? Really? It's the tannins in tea that give it its flavour. If you squeeze the tea bag, you get more of the same. If you think it tastes bitter, then add more hot water and dilute it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Correct. Except it was five mins. I was doing three, upped it to five, tastes better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1 LOL!
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Tannins do diffuse out. However, the concentration of tannins is much higher inside the bag. If you squeeze the bag, those tannins get forced out and create a more bitter and acidic flavour compared to the one the tea blenders intended.

Reply to
nightjar

They blend the tea to suit the way it is going to be made.

Reply to
nightjar

Tea bags in cups taste more bitter than if brewed in a teapot and then poured out. The bitterness seems to sink to the bottom of the pot and doesn't get to the cup.

Reply to
Dave W