Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test live NOW

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now

Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

record by the team that already have it. They are aiming for 1000MPH. The car is being built in Bristol in a shop alongside the SS Great Britain.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

Sadly by the time this got to my server, it was all over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

landspeed record by

It was pretty successful. Quite a rocket too, 12' long by 18" dia, ultimate thrust around

12 tons. Today's test was 1st full size model so only went 'gently' and generated around 6.2 tons. It needed an 800 HP engine to drive the oxidiser pump for which they are using a Cosworth F1 engine that today screeched up to 16200RPM. I think the final version will go up to 18000. I expect it will appear on their site soon. There were loads of TV crews there so I daresay it will be on the news.

I loved the satellite radar imagery that was used to find all the flat bits of the earth where the 1050mph run might be done, and resulted in selection of the Hakskeen Pan in S Africa.

This project is aimed at inspiring an interest in engineering in our school kids.

See

and send them some cash.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

landspeed record by

thrust around

are using a

version will go

It's on Youtube;

Huge

landspeed record by

being built in

thrust around

generated around

they are using a

version will go

after was good, amongst other things when asked how he trains for driving the SSC he said a good start is to join the RAF and practice flying high speed jets. Apparently he'll be subjected to 2g while the rocket fires and -3g while slowing down afterwards.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

OK its an old joke but I was just going to say the same. By the time I heard it it was gone.. Speed of sound etc. Oh never mind.. sulk.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually I'd be very interested in the speed record on land by a vehicle which only powers through its wheels. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

JFGI...

I'm not convinced the record according to that is 470.444 MPH over

1 mile (Oct 18 2001). All the others listed there are much lower and range from 403 (Donald Campbell 1964 to 415 (ish) in Sep 2010. But it's not simple as there are many "classes" of vehicle.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Note that 470 was a turbine engine rather than piston. Yes, Bluebird was a turbine too, but almost 40 years earlier; the technology presumably improved somewhat during the intervening years.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with there being a non-wheel-driven class, but personally I do find the wheel-driven ones a lot more interesting.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson