What Amps ?

Thinking of purchasing some horns off eBay, number 250855467525 and was wondering what sort of current these draw.

Anyone help please ?

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

A very few Amps I'd expect. But unless you are planning to drive in Rome, the duty cycle will be so tiny that it would barely matter what fuse rating or wire you used as long as you were "reasonable".

What's the application - I notice these are 24V

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd guess at a couple of amps - any more than that would make the power dissipation rather high. However from the point of view of choosing a switch, I'd allow plenty of margin and make sure that it was rated for DC inductive loads.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

10 amps max.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks Tim and everyone else, who has replied upto now. Yes the horns are

24V and are needed for my mobility scooter. I was rather concerned about what size wire to use but as you say, a couple of pip pips isn't going to do much harm. Why have this type of horn on the scooter, easy answer is because, pederstrians are fools and so are motorists who reverse out of driveways without looking where they are going or who is approaching. Before others say I shouldn't be on the footpath, there are others who say I shouldn't be on the road. Can't win whatever one does, so I don't want any flamethrowers thank you. Jim G
Reply to
the_constructor

You thought of an air horn? (Whether manually pumped or gas canister.) Might be easier and more flexible? But I am sure you'd know better than I what would be best.

Reply to
polygonum

Sounds like a bit of 3A twin flex or similar in plain wire would be more than sufficient. 3A twin mains with sheath (eg as might be used for tablelamps) would offer some mechanical strength and extra protection for an application like this.

Reply to
Tim Watts