Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

Ah well, it was worth a go :-)

Maybe he's just getting confused by the terminology, which is why he's wondering why it's base 2 when there are no 2s, just ones and zeros? Are there any software learning tools which might help him I wonder?

G.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

I think, then, that you can conclude that he doesn't have the intellectual capability to do this task ...

What "concept" are you trying to convey, BTW? That code 124 is represented as binary 01111100, or that it should be set up as OFF ON ON ON ON ON OFF OFF?

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

But that's the rub John. He has a calculator that converts decimal to binary for him, and he knows how to work it, but he can't grasp that the number showing on the screen is the positions the switches should be in. It's is something that is getting to him, that doesn't want, or can't, see the translation. Weird ! :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for this suggestion G. Now on my list for things to look out for while surfing the web.

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh, I can make it read the other way around, and print ON/OFF rather than 1/0, if you like. Joys of MATLAB :-)

G.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

LOL !!!

Exactly ! But with other calculus he's brilliant and this has only been brought to my attention with the amount of complaints from other engineers that are following him up to do the commissioning. Back to the drawing board. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

He's obviously being confused by you saying he's working in base 2. I'd knock up a quick PHP script that does numbers from 1 to summat like 1023 and creates DIP switch images based on the binary equivalent

- the web counter on my museum site works in the same way.

In fact I might do that later on just for the hell of it.

Show him this: "there are 10 types of people in the world that understand binary. Those who do and those who don't"

If his brain melts he's never going to get it :)

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

ok, lets do it the laddish way ;o)

the object of the game is to score points for bedding girls. he has 7 days of the week to do this in, starting on sunday which is the easiest day to get laid. and as he goes back each day from sunday, it gets doubling difficult to get laid so he gets double points for each day he goes back, thus ....

(this is where the formatting gets knackered) mon tue wed thu fri sat sun

64 32 16 8 4 2 1

an oat sewing profile of 0100001 means

1 point for sunday, and going backwards, nothing until tuesday, which gets him 32 points total=33 points!

QED

pip

p.s. if he has any problems with 1's and 0's - remember his willy is a 1 and is like the DIP switch needs to be UP to fulfil the deed, and well the 0 for the female anatomy is self-explanatory ;o)

Reply to
pip

Maybe he'll read his boss's description of him in uk.d-i-y; which I suspect will be the end of the problem!

David ;-)

Reply to
Lobster

Glad it helped, one thing I learnt from being a primary school teacher was that for some people in some circumstances, being calm and patient (even though you really felt like beating the hell out of something) often produced better results than anything else.

Don't regard it as anyones fault, just a problem to work out together.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

LOL !!!

Do you think if I let him beat the hell out the detectors, it might help ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

ROFL !!!

Now you've got me confused !! :-)) My brain hurts. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

LOL !!!

I could just use him as the 1, because he seems to be becoming a bit of an upright prick. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

ROFL !!!

But I don't want to lose him !!! He's a great engineer otherwise. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

try

know binary is simple, but maybe he only need to know on = 1 and off =0 If its too hard that methods work rather than converting to decimal.

Andrew

BigWall> Hi folks,

Reply to
Andrew

if he objects there is no 2 in binary then point out we have no digit for base ten either. We make one out of combining a 1 to say we have 1 lot of ten and a 0 to say we have no lots of ones. Whereas Eleven is made up of a 1 in the tens column and a 1 in the ones column. Then extend to hundreds and thousands. Once he has the concept that we use column keepers in base ten it might be easier for him to get the concept in binary.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I use binary and hex every day but *STILL* have problems with PC manuals which show black and white pictures of DIL switches. The biggest problem (having worked out which end is which) is deducing which part of the drawing actually depicts the switch 'lever' (black or white).

e.g. something like -------- | ####| --------

now is the switch set to the left or the right?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

try

Warby

Reply to
Martin Warby

Well I have to admit that I've never had the binary system explained quite like that!

Might be a good idea not to introduce the concept of tri-state, where you can have 1, 0 and indeterminate..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

But he has the concept of decimal numbering and the column systems used to denominate the multiple ten system, but I can't make him understand the same sort of principle for binary. For a youngster, he even has whole number fractions off to a tea, and he can work out minus relationships on temperature gauges with no particular problems. It just seems to be the concept of using only 1's and 0's to translate a decimal number to binary. It's a weird one. :-)) But I'm sticking with it.

Reply to
BigWallop