Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

Forget it, it's a wind up for sure.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Yep. Bob Eager has that as a sig at the mo.

Oddly I am wearing this tshirt today :

in a computing department it is scary how many people don't understand it. I guess binary is so hidden from todays computer scientists that they just don't need it :(

Maybe the OP ought to get one of these for his "student":

him he can't go home till he has worked out what the time is :)

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Is Dilbert still on the go????

Of course. One of the first websites I visit each morning to summon up the energy to face managers :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Rename the switches to A, B, C, D etc... instead of 1, 2, 3, 4. then he can't add A+C to get 5! A=1, B=2, C=4 etc...

Reply to
Fishter

"Gnube" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >But women are different! They can understand knitting patterns. | We've only got their word for it that they came out right haven't we? | ;O)

You mean you have a suspicion that the hand-knitted tank-top Mrs Gnube presented you with last birthday started out as a tea-cosy but she got the tension wrong?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

See

:-)

You have brain-fade. "Seven Years of Highly Defective People" (an excellent introduction to Dilbert with handwritten notes by Scott Adams) was published in 1990, and if you dig around the web-site you'll find a history showing early rejection letters dated 1988.

I used to work in cubicles (or pods). I think light dawned when it was suggested that I relocate to the exact centre of a floor and simultaneously move the computer equipment to a corner office. We swapped, and I spent many a long hour gazing out at the traffic coming off the M8.

Reply to
John Laird

Brilliant idea ! And when it arrives he'll be in the workshop for the rest of that week. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

If only it was Gnube. If only it was.

Reply to
BigWallop

super. Wonder if it lives of 120v via a wall wart, thus easyly powerable via a suitable UK wall wart...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may jest, but you're horribly closer than you could ever know - anyway, returned her to the manufacturers many, many years ago happily. (warranty job; didn't do what it said at the altar, and I supposed that one of us would have to take the vows seriously, which left the job to me)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

As long as you kept the receipt. :-)) Can you change her for a newer model if she was still under warranty ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Well, I still got the bill to pay! But that's bloomin lawyers for you! ;O)

Lord I don't know, never went for another one, could not see the point as it's a basic design flaw. Not as missed as I would have expected to be honest. I've got a theory that Men and Women are two fundamentally incompatible species anyway, despite all the hype to the contrary. As for what ever I may be missing, (which everyone seems to feel obliged to ask about eventually), I'd rather have a cuppa anyway; slightly ridiculous business if you actually stop to think about it for more than a few seconds! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Many, Many Thank you's to everyone. I used most of your suggestions, and very creative some of them were (Thanks Witchy), on getting the Binary numbering system through to a moron. :-))

I sat with him for two and a bit hours today, just him and I, and we went over it to see where the problem was. He was thinking of the switches on the detector heads as decimal right enough, as this is the way they are marked by the makers. So I started him on the very basics of the system again to see how he would react. He then told me that he'd never even heard of the Binary way of counting, and that he'd always thought we were winding him up on the settings of these detectors.

Once I'd shown him the basics and he'd done a few addition and subtraction sums using it, it seemed to click into place no problem at all. Yipee !!! Say's I, as you can imagine. I think, with your help, I've just gained another brilliant security engineer for the team.

Brilliant people. Many, Many Thanks Again.

Reply to
BigWallop

I saw that a few weeks ago - it might well head for the christmas list, but (getting back on topic) I'd quite like to build one - in software if my electronics skills aren't up to it.

Reply to
Chris Hodges