Big Dig

Hi all. Re: broken drains. The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a

2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days. They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig plenty more. The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the back door of my yard as very poor and loosely connected. The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

Reply to
D55

A private sewer is just that and it is the householders responsibility all the way to the public sewer. What is 'unfair' about that? Depending on the cause of the problem, a decent insurer should cough up. By implication you have started work before talking to them? Call them without delay as they may want to inspect the problem not just get a big bill at the end. Talk to the contractor as well as they will no doubt had experience of such jobs in the past.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Conversely it can't be fair for the public to be expected to pay for your private drain repairs can it? You could of course have previously chosen to pay for an insurance package to cover the potential failing but once the problem has been identified you are too late. The fact that most of the insurance packages never see a claim is what makes the insurance company profitable.

Lifes a bitch and then you die!

Reply to
cynic

The insurance company is already in the loop as they appointed the contractor.

Arthur

Reply to
D55

Conversely it can't be fair for the public to be expected to pay for your private drain repairs can it? You could of course have previously chosen to pay for an insurance package to cover the potential failing but once the problem has been identified you are too late. The fact that most of the insurance packages never see a claim is what makes the insurance company profitable.

Lifes a bitch and then you die!

Jesus! It wasn't me that chose the friggin England squad.

Reply to
D55

Did you check with a cable cam first, to see if it really needed digging up? These days I've noticed the pros seem to have all manner of crafty gear for ramming their way though and replacing/lining pipes, without the need to dig (Particularly impressed by the way they could replace our gas supply without digging anything up.)

Spamlet

If your house was built before 1st October 1937 the sewer system is the responsibility of the water/sewage undertaker.

Reply to
Alan Murphy

Why ever not?

Who else does it belong to?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You 'should' be ok then. The contractor is working for them then.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yep!.

10 years ago had a non-obvious blockage. Insurance company sent in the drain cleaners (no efffect). Then the TV drain surveyors (twice!). Then a team to Epoxy-reline 5 metres of pipe (no effect, as the mole people were rubbish). Then 2 men for 7 days, assisted by a large Kamatsu excavator to get down to the public sewer and a small excavator for access and pit work in the garden. Blockage (a piece of Vicorian brick) finally discovered at the public sewer connection in the middle of the road. Then an additional 3 men for 2 days to assist making good. 9 grand. No insurance representative ever bothered to visit and not a whinge or peep of complaint out of them. My total input was the initial phone call and signing off the completion forms. :)
Reply to
john

D55 wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 19:11

It's your drainage system - who else is going to pay for it?

It might be different if your house fell over due to a disused and unknown mineshaft...

I have a 6" shared sewer under my garden serving 3 or 4 other houses - and I have to fix my section for my neighbours' benefit. In a way that's worse as if it goes wrong I can't just stick a tent over the next pit down or borrow a camping bog and DIY it over a few days - I'd have to get contractors in fast.

As you've said they are in the loop presumably they have agreed to repair it subject to any excess?

I had a flat flooded by the pillock above - they paid for a new ceiling minus excess, which I got out of said pillock on pain of bad things happening.

A neighbour in a previous village had a new kitchen due to drains failing under the floor (newbuild as well!) and subjecting everything to water unnoticed for weeks until it got bad enough to appear in a visible place.

Anyway, if in doubt ring them and talk it through.

Good luck

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

United Utilities ran a robot camera through the main sewer and probably up into the inlet pipes about 2 months ago.

Arthur

Reply to
D55

ROFL

Reply to
Steve Walker

After 2012 there is a change in responsibility for certain works, it reverts to the utility companies.

However since the insurers are footing the bill I would sit back, relax. Although check what excess there is (=A350 =A3100 =A3250). The only comment I would make is ensure the contractors are competent in shoring up the hole adequately (so a cave-in does not affect the house) and you have a contact telephone number for them, not just your insurer.

Reply to
js.b1

No "seems" about it.

Whine, whine, whine.

Try being responsible for your own drainage, septic tank and incoming electricity. Then you can come back and whinge.

BTW, do you not own a spade?

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Alan Murphy scribeth thus

JOOI where does the demarcation line lay, at the boundary of your property as shown on the deeds I presume?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I didn't think of that...I am feeling more hopeful about it.

Arthur

Reply to
D55

I have 2. and I've just had an idea on what to do with the spare one.

Arthur

Reply to
D55

Well he doesn't have such a big head as yours to know all the rules and regs on sewer maintenance.

In fact, depending on past ground usage and circumstances, he may well be correct in what he says (unlikely, but possible)!

Bitch, bitch, bitch and whine, whine, whine - when will all that expense end for you?

BTW, depending on your situation, at least you won't be paying any sewerage charges to the local waterboard thieves, and if you are drawing water from a well, then that's even better (and the two togther will more than off-set the septic tank emptying every year or so) - so what the ferkin' hell are

*YOU* whinging for?

I'd like to see you digging down to that depth and through concrete with just a spade - but I suppose someone like you could probably do that sort of a job before dinner, and only using a Swiss army knife...and you'd keep the shovel just for the shit!

Reply to
Woodworm

If the drain is pre 1930 something the sewer authority is responsible. After then it is not responsible beyond the public sewer which may be far beyond the boundary of the property(ies) served by the sewer.

The deeds or covenants will often say who is responsible. Often lengths of drains are the joint responsibility of all those properties served by the drain.

Water companies sometimes offer maintenance contracts on the costs of fixing drains etc.

Often household building insurance policies will include accidental damage to drains. Accidental damage would include damage by subsidence for example but not for general deterioration.

Reply to
Invisible Man