Best way to remove sticky Araldite from hands?

It is in the FAQ you know ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh! I didn't know there was anything amusing in the FAQ - just useful stuff!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try the Humour section :

John Rumm

Well, one's never too old to learn! Thanks, John,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cellulose thinners will lift it, or acetone (nail varnish remover) but not once its set...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to Bill Woods, Uncle Smart wrote: I tried meths - no avail. WD40, turps, and all sorts of stuff. Even tried whisky (passed thru my kidneys first), felt better but didn't stop the stickiness. Eucalyptus oil started to attack the bloody Araldite but best was the nail polish remover. That worked. Why can't the massive conglomerate of Dulux/Shelly's give tips on their packaging for help on Araldite mess on skin? Too much to ask?

Reply to
Uncle Smart

In the 14 years since Bill got Araldite on his hands I think the skin cells on his hands would have changed enough times for the problem to go away. The active ingredient in nail polish remover is Acetone.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes . I have a cautionary tale about Acetone. A reason to be very very careful when using it. I worked for a company once who wound coils for TVs. The windings were secured in place by a solvent based glue. The design often needed runny glue, so acetone was used to thin the glue down so it could be applied by a brush as the coil was wound on a machine. Thus, there was a room in a kind of lean to on the main building where cans of acetone, and other chemicals were stored. It could get very cold in there in the winter so somebody had blocked up the vents and fan ducting with duct tape and cardboard. However it was one of the hottest days of the year and somebody was despatched to decant some acetone into some small bottles for use on the shop floor. After a few minutes the person had not returned so the supervisor went to find them, to find them passed out on the floor and the stench of acetone suffocating. She dragged the person out, who, fortunately was still alive and eventually they came around. There was a huge stink over this and who had bunged up the air circulation and venting system I can tell you. Even I have felt extremely queasy when using model aircraft dope in a not well ventilated shed, so this kind of substance is very very dangerous.

Yes on the tack of where do old threads suddenly resurface from to trap the non attentive reader, I am not sure, we know that Home Owners club have an interface for this group which ignores years in its sorting, but it actually does, quite plainly show the date if of the post, so people need to read it before responding. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2

I have had problems this week due to a silicon sealant on my hands - fingers used to smooth it (on a car) and now my finger tips are scabby and sore.

Reply to
John

Yes the problem is that many are hypergolic, in that they stop moisture. The area where the silicon is thus dries out and you get scabbing and the skin is shed. It should sort itself out in a couple of weeks. Could you not have done it wearing disposable gloves? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

These days not every nail polish remover contains acetone! Bottles of acetone are available from Ebay at £7/8 litre (more expensive per litre in smaller quantities) I also use it for removing superglue and dissolving some plastics in order to repair some types of plastic. Dissolve some scrap plastic and use as a glue and/or solvent weld a piece of scrap plastic to what is being repaired. Recently used to strengthen/repair a crack in a very cheap plastic bath panel.

Reply to
alan_m

yes, I hate it when my hands burst into flames just because I smoothed out some sealant without gloves on.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In my first job, in my "gap year" between A-levels and university, I worked in a research chemistry laboratory. We had various Winchester bottles of solvents. One of the other students, the nephew of Lord somebody (*) and a pupil of Marlborough (which he pronounced in the upper-class way: Mawlborough), was a bit of a tearaway. He had already boasted about how he took home some ampoules of the amyl nitrate from the cyanide-antidote kit, for a sexual high. One day, as he was driving somewhere, he started to feel very light-headed. He claims that he "found" a broken Winchester of ether in the boot, so no wonder he was drowsy... It's a wonder he didn't either doze off and crash, or else get blown up (ether burns explosively). I imagine he took the bottle home to sniff it and it broke when he went over a pothole.

(*) The lad was forever boasting about visiting his uncle at "The House" (of Lords).

Reply to
NY

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qrb0dl$v3j$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Lesson learned!

Reply to
John

Where is he now? In the government?

Reply to
Max Demian

I have often wondered whether he is still alive or whether one of his hare-brained experiments with dodgy substances has finished him off.

He was the archetypal "expensively-educated twit". He told us in all innocence how he went for a walk in some woodland nearby and was annoyed and indignant when he got turned back by security guards and dogs - he said he didn't know that Chequers was there and that it was out of bounds. I'm not sure how far he got but he made it sound as if he got to the lawns, with the house in sight, before he was challenged. This would have been in the early

80s, so when the IRA was a very credible terrorist risk.

I wonder whether his uncle had any children of his own or he would have become the next Lord Something when his uncle died.

Reply to
NY

Not all nail varnish remover is acetone based.

For example: Superdrug Nail Polish Remover Acetone Free

Reply to
polygonum_on_google