Meter Board - Whose responsibility?

Just been down the cellar in a friends house to get a meter reading, and when I touched the meter, the board fell away from the wall.

I have temporarily secured the board in place by tying it up with cord (to prevent any strain on the cables). Is the refixing of the board the responsibility of the house owner or the electicity company?

It appears that the board came away due to dampness in the cellar causing the fixing screws to rust. I suspect that there are regulations regarding electrical installations and dampness, is it likely that the electricity company would refuse to reinstall (if their responsibility) due to the dampness causing the initial problem?

Reply to
matt

Why not just refix it with rust-resisting screws?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , matt writes

I had one that was woodwormy and the electric people replaced it FOC

Reply to
bof

Ring the leecy board up and they will come around and replace it

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Electric Co. and usually FOC (never known one to be charged for yet*).

Depending on the type of cable it may not be safe to try to replace yourself anyway - some paper/lead (PILC) cables don`t take kindly to being moved after being in the same place for a considerable length of time.

As an aside, the meter board is supposed to be there for the electric co's use only, and shouldn't have a consumer unit on there.

  • in the big scheme of things now, depending on who your supplier is, the REC might pass on costs to the supplier which they might, in turn, try to foist on you as a customer. If they try this resist strongly and remind them that they have a statutory duty to ensure their equipment is maintained or replaced as necessary. You are not able to break the seals on their equipment to remove the cutout to enable you to replace the board, ergo, the meter board is their equipment and responsibility.
Reply to
Colin Wilson

It's their property, so their problem. But expect them to want to move it to the top of the cellar stairs - as should have been done years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On what basis?? I doubt they will move, if you want it to be moved then it becomes a chargeable job.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Yes that's what I found. And depending on the circumstances this can get quite pricey.

Reply to
Alex W