Radiator problem

Hi,

I'm not really a diy expert, so please forgive me for my lack of understanding here.

I have a radiator in the bathroom that doesn't seem to be heating up. The pipe that the hot water comes in through is certainly hot, but beyond the valve that connects the pipe to the radiator, there is no warmth. (I think it's called a lockshield valve - it looks like the valve in this picture:)

've tried turning the valve one way and then the other, but nothing seems to make any difference. Can anyone help me identify the problem and how I might fix it?

TIA,

-- Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Reply to
Epetruk

What's at the other end of the radiator - is there a similar valve with a knob/hand-wheel on? Is that fully open?

If the radiator isn't getting hot, there isn't any hot water flowing through it. There can be a number of reasons for this. Here are a few things to check out in the order listed:

  • One or other valve closed. Make sure they are both turned fully anti-clockwise when viewed from above.
  • Radiator full of air. Open the bleed screw, and bleed it until water comes out.
  • Lack of water or pressure in the system. If a vented system, make sure that there is some water in the small header (fill & expansion) tank and that the ball valve hasn't stuck. If a sealed system, make sure that the pressure is about 1 bar when the system is cold, and top it up using the filling loop if necessary.
  • Air lock in the flow or return pipe. Close the hand-wheel-operated valve on all other radiators to force the full pump output through this individual radiator (and then open the others again once you have got it going)

Come back if none of these fix it!

Reply to
Set Square