best thing to seal oak for making a chopping board

Nothing is ok, but vegetable oils go rancid in varying degrees. Plastic is the perfect material for the job but maybe one needs to hug a wooden one

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for all the answers, I'll try out the liquid parrafin I think, I have enough to worktop to make around a dozen good sized boards!! but I'm trying to think of another use for the longest piece as its

1.5m and it would be a shame to cut that to bits !! - first thought is a kitchen trolley/table thingy on castors !!
Reply to
Staffbull

All the maples are much softer than oak, I have one which has almost gone through in the middle from chopping on both sides. The oak one is as new.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mostly wood with a plastic coating though.

Reply to
dennis

Just as good and if possible (if you have the time) make the board so that the cutting area is all end grain.

The reason: end grain tends to 'close' back up after cutting rather than leaving grooves in the surface thus extending the life of the board - aka the old butchers block.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Mary, it's a fact - and as 'country girl' should know that - oak (especially English oak) is crammed full of tannic acid. Knock an iron or mild steel nail into a piece and come back after a while and you'll find it a nice dark shade.

I'd lay you odds that the softer boards are not made with the end grain as the cutting area?

With regards to using the oak one, then that's a matter of choice - but for myself, after using different species of oak throughout the years - it's a choice that I wouldn't make.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Now that's a better use for it - and to get the best and 'deepest' finish, have a read of a good French polishing book from the library on how to fill the grain and polish the wood rather than using the polyurethane finishes - it really is well worth the effort (as long as you have the time and patience).

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Plastic ones melt too easily.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bagatelle or shove ha'penny board game?

Carve an improving motto into it and hang it above the bed?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Good point. I'd also be inclined to not drink a cup of tea for the same reason :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

French polish for a kitchen trolley/table thingy? Asking for trouble, that is. An oil finish would be far more practical, and retain the wood's natural lustre.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Rancid oil is only going to be a problem if you coat the board generously with oil and leave it to stand for a lengthy period of time. Six months to a year ought to do it, perhaps longer depending on the oil used. A re-application from time to time will be necessary.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Now dip it in coke or a cup of tea...or vinegar..or a lemon..

Get real. if you drink tea you probably have a stomach that will digest an iron nail in a few hours.;. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. wash it with bleach every week and re-oil.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"dennis@home" wrote in news:f8dfed$bul$1 @news.datemas.de:

I used to work for as a trainee butcher and would have to clean the butchers block and it involved using serius scrubbing with a wire brush and Ajax

As to treating a cutting board I have allways used olive oil rubbed in periodically.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It obviously washes or wears off or you'd notice a smell. Vegetable oils go rancid in contact with air.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know that (not that I'm a country woman and haven't been a girl for decades) but it's not going to affect any food.

Your nail will go black if you leave it in a cup of tea, doesn't stop you drinking tea - Or most people anyway.

None of my boards is, it's not easy getting a

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Where you wouldn't see it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You've hugged plastic until it melts?

:-)

I don't think plastic is perfect for many reasons but the OP has some wood which he wants to use, there's no point in suggesting plastic to him.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But, like piles...you'd certainly know it was there...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard