best thing to seal oak for making a chopping board

I bow to your greater experience :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll pass on your compliments to my telly the next time "I've got an embarrassing illness that I wouldn't dare tell anyone about...except when there's the prospect of me and my < insert body part here > being shown to 5+ million viewers" is on.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The 5+million viewers wouldn't include me - we haven't a telly ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't use oak to make chopping boards.

I'm fine with wood, but not oak. I don't even much like it for worktops

-- the problem of staining from iron + water is just too troublesome in a kitchen.

I wouldn't try and seal them either. Oil them (grapeseed, walnut, but not olive) regularly instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's no staining on my oak boards ... and they come into plenty of contact with water. And they're not sealed, oiled or finished in any other way.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

replying to Staffbull, Katiemac01 wrote: I have read people?s responses and most do not seem to helpful. I make my own chopping boards and I normally use a mineral oil as it helps to protect the wood and gives it a good finish

Reply to
Katiemac01

Pity you didn't read the date as well.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I have just read your response and it does not seem helpful, because its

13 YEARS too late!
Reply to
John Rumm