Chopping board materials???

Hi, does anyone know if Merbau is suitable for chopping boards?

Pat

Reply to
Pat

No idea, but if can correctly predict a question you'll have later, you'll want Behlen Salad Bowl Finish near the end of the project. :-) Do a google search. The only dealer I'm aware of is a fancy woodworking place in NYC, but I haven't checked in years.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Personally, I use a 50 tooth industrial Amana combo blade for chopping boards.

off to google I go to find out who makes these Merbau blade thingies...

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Do a google search: "salad bowl finish" yes in quotes, it's all over the 'net. Including links for Behlen.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

This website:

lists merbau (indexed as kwila) as causing dermatitis and rhinitis. I don't think the latter is an issue because I think its a problem caused by breathing the dust. Dermatitis is obviously more of an issue -- if something causes dermatitis it might not do nice things to the inside of your body. On the other hand, this website
says "Safety/Allergic Reaction Issues: none known at this time."

If you get to the stage of being interested in how to finish the board, and if you haven't already made up your mind, you might want to check out the "Tung Oil for Cutting Board" thread that was started yesterday.

- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hooke

Thank you

says "Safety/Allergic Reaction Issues: none known at this time."

Reply to
Pat

Pat schreef

  • * * Probably the worst choice imaginable PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel