Best filler for a hair line crack?

Perhaps it uses more filler. IMO raking out is not a good thing to do.

You can, but I'd use a filling knife to apply the filler.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's what I normally use, and I believe one can squeeze the filler quite a way into the crack. But with something like a cake pump a much deeper fill might be achieved, somewhat akin to pumping the stuff in from a hypodermic syringe. (Perhaps someone knows whether the latter is available from vets, say for injecting horses, as the needles my practice nurse uses for taking a blood sample is far too fine for Polyfilla.)

As the crack no doubt extends right through the plaster to the brickwork behind, if only one could find a way of pushing the filler right back to the brickwork, that would in my view be a very successful result. This is not possible with a filling knife. With the knife I would expect the filler to reach a depth into the crack of no more than two or three millimetres at best, instead of the full depth of the plaster.

MM

Reply to
MM

I've never had filler come loose. With a real hairline crack you have to rake it out to get any appreciable (aka useful) amount of filler into it. A crack 1mm wide is not "hairline" it's a real crack. I might just run the tip of a trowel along it to make sure there are no loose edges but I wouldn't open it up any more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think it's worth filling them - if they're moving, it's a pointless exercise, anyway. I have, with ceilings, injected dilute PVA into hairline cracks, as mentioned before. It might be a good technique for walls, too.

Reply to
Chris Bacon