BBQ Plate Question?

I will be building a brick BBQ in spring. When I was abroad my BBQ plate was

8mm mild steel plate and served the purpose well. Although when not used for a little while it would develop rust patches. I am now considering using 6mm stainless steel plate. Is there any problems with using stainless for a BBQ plate, I have heard that there is quite a few nasties in stainless and should not be used. Advice please. TIA
Reply to
BIGEYE

Well people use stainless for cooking (pots and pans) and stainless is used for medical parts - joints, screws, etc. that are placed inside the body so I would be surprised if there were any problems in using it for a BBQ plate if it is the same grade as used for frying pans.

Reply to
Sparky

Hi,

Stainless is fine, it might even be possible to have a thin stainless liner that goes over thicker steel plate. Then the liner would hide any rust when in place, and can be removed for cleaning if need be.

Thin stainless is used a lot in catering, a fabricator that does that sort of thing would be able to do the above.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C