Baxi Barcelona - Replace or Improve?

Our house has a Baxi Barcelona which heats an underfloor heating system and a mains pressure hot water system. When installed about 4 years ago (when we had the house built), it seemed reasonably state-of-the-art.

Sadly, it has been less than reliable. The main current complaint is that about once a month or so, at random intervals, we wake up to a shut down boiler, a flashing (or steady) red light, and no hot water. This drives the wife bonkers as she can not then wash her hair before going to work (why does she need to wash her hair EVERY day? - don't go there...). The boiler will usually restart by turning off then on (but sometimes an electrican is required to shuffle the circuit boards. We never seem to find an actual FAULT).

My questions:

  1. Do we have a lemon or are they "all like that"?
  2. Should we replace the boiler with something more reliable and of newer design? or
  3. Should we consider replacing the two circuit boards, in hope of curing this mysterious problem?

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be gratefully received. I'm under orders to "fix" this before the next winter.

Steve

Reply to
steve2

I know of at least two other units with undiagnosable problems. Replacement of the PCBs (done by BG unit contract) doesn't seem to fix them. It really pays to have a service contract with one of these units around. Less than £200 year will regularly bring you many hundreds £ of PCBs and fitting!

My guess would be to try changing one or two of the temperature sensors to see if they have any effect after you have changed the upgraded PCBs.

It comes down to:

New boiler £750 Fitting say £750 (maybe £500 on the 'grey' market).

Known result. Maybe £5 year guarantee.

OR £300-£500 on replacement parts. These or other problems likely to be still with you.

If you can get BG to take it on. Then it's a pretty good deal as they will be at your house a lot. Otherwise fork out and get a working boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Maxie said a few of the Barcelona boards are beginning to filter through for recon. He may have an idea of the prime problems are.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is this only heating a thermal store? If so, there is a jumper that can be removed and the burner is then on full with no modulation. The reliability of these boilers on "direct" thermal stores is good as the controls are not used as much as when heating direct as modulation is not operational and the boiler does not cycle. Its successor is the Baxi condensing boiler, which is not cheap at all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ed,

I'm not convinced that having BG at my house "a lot" is the answer my wife is looking for...

If,then, it is to be a new boiler - which to choose? Do you (or anyone else) have a view on a reliable replacement condensing boiler?

Steve

Reply to
steve2

Glow Worm (amongst others)

Reply to
John

Generally products of German design and/or manufacture -

Worcester-Bosch, Vaillant, MAN, Viessmann,.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

.....and Glow Worm Dutch/German parts

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Surely Drivel can't recommend anything made by Bosch?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

[snipping by a madman restored]

Without any personal knowledge of such things, you condemn all Bosch power tools.

So any reasonable person would think you condemn all their products too.

But then that assumes you are a reasonable person.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, the cost effective boiler (with two votes) seems to be Glow Worm?

Is it better to buy the smaller boiler, and run it hard, or the larger boiler and let it cruise?

Steve

Reply to
steve2

It must be time for his coca. I hope he doesn't dribble.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

As it modulates you get the model over your requirements and let it modulate down.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are not alone. In fact, you are quite lucky to have four year's trouble-free running:

have a Baxi 130 that got the similar problem during Christmas - only weeks after guarantee ran out. Insurance sent in a few local plumbers who had no clue after changing a few parts. In the end, after my strong protests of no heating for two months in the coldest weather, they finally decided it's worth getting an (apparently more expensive) Baxi engineer. The guy knew the problem straightaway and sorted it out in minutes. I am under the impression that Baxi knows this problem but has yet to find a solution. FWIW, the problem was with the seal of the burner (He showed me the "rubber" powders), which subsequently caused overheating lockout.

Reply to
jkk666

Whereas nursey won't even let you have cocoa in case you spill it down your paper nightie.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Where did you get your wit lessons?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

University of Life, School of Hard Knocks.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You should ask for your money back.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why, is that what your customers do when they find they've been mis-sold two combi boilers?

Owain

Reply to
Owain