Batten Spacing For Plasterboard

I'm using 2400 x 1200 12.5 Gyproc to board my bathroom walls on to battens screwed to the walls. Should the vertical ones be at 400mm centres or would 600 mm be ok.??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Personally, I would use 400mm in case someone leans against the wall, especially if the wall is tiled, or in a frequently trafficed area (i.e. where people are squeezing past each other). Switch to 12mm WBP ply round the shower area.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thx Christian ......400 it is ...It's not a busy bathroom but it is narrow and it's just me here but I can be a bit clumsy at times ..lol

I'm going to use Aquapanel for the tiled area round the bath / shower.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Yes, that's good stuff too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I should have asked .Do I need horizontal battens at the midway point as well or will the vertical ones suffice .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The thing with framing is you can do what you want, and the results vary widely. At one extreme, 2x2 uprights at 2' centres will make a wall, but plaster will pop cos it flexes too much, and it'll be as soundproof as paper. 2x4 every 16" plus noggins would be a very solid wall. You can go wherever you want between the 2.

Noggins, they stiffen the wall up, make it more destructionproof, reduce sound transmission, and make it possible to attach things without them falling off. I'd always fit them, but you'll do what you want.

Rockwool or similar also helps with sound resistance on interior walls and insulation on exterior.

NT

Reply to
meow2222