false ceiling

I am putting up a false ceiling in my bathroom- I was wondering what size of timber to use for the stud work and if the plasterboard should be hung along the studs or across them? It is a fairly small room 2.4m by 1.7m. many thanks!

Reply to
jamie

Use 3" x 2". Not sure what you mean by hanging the pb along or across? But you should certainly minimise the amount of unsupported butting edges of boards, if that's what you're getting at. Any joins which are parallel to the studs should certainly be *on* the studs. Best to consider the spacing of the studs to enable you to do this with minimal wastage and chopping up of boards.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've recently done my 3.6m x 1.96m kitchen ceiling like this:

47mm x 47mm battening around the room at about 2.5m height, drilled and screwed to the wall every 300 mm with Very Big Screws Indeed.

75mm x 50mm x 1.96m joists, 400mm centres, notched out to sit on the battens

3 sheets of vapourboard held up with about 500 plasterboard screws (sore fingers, plenty of steel spliters in them) and the ceiling is solid as a rock the downlighters look great and when it's skimmed and painted it'll look even better.

HtH

RT

Reply to
[news]

I've recently done my 3.6m x 1.96m kitchen ceiling like this:

47mm x 47mm battening around the room at about 2.5m height, drilled and screwed to the wall every 300 mm with Very Big Screws Indeed.

75mm x 50mm x 1.96m joists, 400mm centres, notched out to sit on the battens

3 sheets of vapourboard held up with about 500 plasterboard screws (sore fingers, plenty of steel splinters in them) and the ceiling is solid as a rock the downlighters look great and when it's skimmed and painted it'll look even better.

HtH

RT

Reply to
[news]

Hi

"Very Big Screws Indeed". Like it! VBSI. Great technical term!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang