Cement Board Without DryWall???

Hi. I am looking for advice regarding using 1/2 inch cement board without any drywall.

The application is for a small bathroom and I am wondering if it is feasible to attach cement board directly to the studs.

I would like to then either prime & paint it as my final surface or quite possibly apply venetian plaster to it as the final finish.

Anyone heard of doing this?

Would it endure?

Any responses greatly welcome, thanks...

Reply to
~ M?bius Pretzel ~

I have never heard of that. I'm sure it would endure, but it would probably look crappy. You could go for that "industrial" or "rustic" look, which might actually look quite good in the right setting, but the problem is going to be the seams. I can't think of how to get them to look like the rest of the cement board. Perhaps the plaster you mention might work, but I have no idea.

Reply to
jeffc

I was looking at brand of cement board called 'Permabase'.

One side is smooth.

They tell you to use polymer coated mesh tape with portland cement or dry-set (thin-set) mortar for the seams.

I heard it would be tough to sand but that it was doable.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

MP

Reply to
~ M?bius Pretzel ~