Bathroom without immersion heater

I have a fairly small bathroom, with bath, toilet, basin and airing cupboard containing a cyliner with immersion heater. I want to add a shower, but the only way this could be possible would be if the cylinder were done away with.
Is that (a) feasible? (b) sensible.
--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
On 28/08/2012 23:20, Timothy Murphy wrote:

It is feasible, but can this cylinder also be heated by a gas/oil boiler? Or have you only got an electricity supply.
--
David

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Aug 28, 11:20 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Shower over the bath? Or one of those 'disabled' baths with a door in it if the requirement for a shower is prompted by physical difficulties. Or a bath seat / lift etc.
You will not get an electric non-storage hot water system that can fill a bath.
The drawback to the bath-with-a-door in it is you have to close the door and wait while the bath heats up, and wait (wet, getting cold) while the bath empties before you can get out. And leaks. My mother got locked in hers.
Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–
Timothy Murphy wrote:

yes, yes. If the house is small and you have mno teenage girtls, fit a combi.
If it isn't remove the old cylinder and retrofit a pressurised main pressure cylinder somewhere else. Typically the loft is usable, but even outside in a lean too can be done - I've seen this! needs a frost stat and lagging mind :-)
If you have a loft mounted header,. you can ditch this and use the sapce
None of these come cheap tho
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 00:20:24 +0200, Timothy Murphy

You could either have a simple electric shower and a small undersink water heater for the basin. Or... an instant water heater, rated about 10 to 12kW which feeds both your shower and basin. Depends on how good your electric supply is, for the latter one. I fitted one a decade ago in place of a gas geyser and while it worked rather well, the load it put on the mains was a bit of a concern. No fuses blew and it was within the limits of th supply, but it tended to dim th lights a bit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Lime scale is an issue with instant water heating in hard water areas.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Add pictures here
βœ–
Tim Lamb wrote:

That at least would be no issue, as our water (in Dublin) seems exceptionally soft.
--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
βœ–
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Thanks very much for the response.
It seems from my plumber that the cost of the electric wiring would be a major part of the expenditure - but SWMBO is very keen on getting a proper shower. (There is already one in the bath, but she is not satisfied with that.)
--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
βœ–
On Aug 29, 10:04 am, Timothy Murphy wrote:

would improving the existing shower over the bath be acceptable - if it's a vented system with low pressure at the moment then adding a shower pump?
Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–

So take the bath out. That will teach her.
What is the objection to the shower over the bath?
If it's the shower itself then simply putting one in a cubicle will not help, especially if it's down to the water supply.
If it's the shape of the bath then consider changing the bath for one designed to have a shower at one end. They have steeper sides and allow you to stand under the shower.
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sometimes worth looking at the benefits of this too: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drain_Heat_Exchanger