Bathroom Extrator Fan Problem

Hi,

I've just moved to a new flat. The extrator fan in the bathroom is not working. It is wired to the light switch and should come on when the light is switched on and stay on for a while when the light it switched off. There is a separate switch outside the bathroom door for he fan which is switched on. The light works fine.

I'm not sure how to start to isolate the problem. Are there fuses that could be checked, or loose wiring?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
lynn

Before the new building regs for electrical work came in on the 1st of January 2005 I would have replied as follows. You could check that the wiring to the fan is OK by using either a meter, mains testing screwdriver, or for best safety, disconnect the fan and connect a bulb holder with light bulb to the fan cables and see if the bulb lights when the bathroom light is switched on. Obviously the power should be turned off as appropriate. Having removed the fan you can also connect it temporarily to the mains and see if the fan blades rotate. If they don't then it is buggered. In my experience, bathroom and toilet fans have a limited life span, I have to replace mine every 2 or 3 years. Post-January 2005, my understanding is that this type of bathroom electrical work must be done by a "competent person", or if you do it yourself it must be notified and inspected by the Local Authority Building Controls.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Silly question 1: have you tried switching the isolator switch (for that is what it is) outside the bathroom OFF in case it's been wired upside down?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's not likely to be a fuse if the lights are working (unless the fan is unusually wired through a fuse separately). I'd go for a broken fan, loose wiring, or incorrect wiring (it could easily be the latter if it's been fitted by, say, a diy novice).

David

Reply to
Lobster

When you say new, do you mean 'new new' or just a new flat to you? If the former ask the builders to sort it, if the latter you will need to check as per one of the other replies (or get somebody to check it for you!).

Cheers

John

Reply to
John