Ceiling fan and light don't work separately

I installed a ceiling fan with a light and there are two switches. I did the wiring properly. The fan and the light now work on 1 switch not separate. And when you turn it on with one switch and then turn on the other switch if turns it off. Any ideas?

Reply to
stephen

My first idea is that this statement is incorrect: "I did the wiring properly."

Sorry.

Keep in mind that all we have are your words, of which there aren't very many, so diagnosing your issue from afar is a bit of a problem.

Were the switches already there and, if so, what did they control? Is the fan/light designed to be operated like you want it too?

What can you tell us about how you wired it? Do you have any a wiring diagrams to share?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It sounds as if the switches are wired in series, not parallel as they should be. A power wire should come into the switch box and connect to one of the switches. There should be a jumper from one switch to the other supplying it with power. Each switch should have power all of the time. A wire from one switch should go to the fan. A wire from the other switch should go to the light. This is sight unseen so take it for what it's worth.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If the switches were wired in series, then nothing would work unless the "first" switch was on. He said "And when you turn it on with one switch and then turn on the other switch if turns it off."

Both switches on turns "it" off. Strange. What does "it" mean? The entire fixture?

Terrible wording.

Don't forget about the neutral. Current code requires neutrals in all switch boxes now. Think "smart switches", etc. They usually require a neutral, so the NEC decided to prep for them in all switch boxes.

He might be grandfathered based on the previous installation, but we don't know for sure. We certainly don't have a lot of information.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

The OP's comment that the second switch changes things got my attention. Whatever the first switch turned on was turned off by the second switch.

We'll see if the OP answers your questions. The homeowner's group is hit and miss from what I've seen.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They usually show up with a poorly worded question and they almost never continue the conversation. It seems to be more miss than hit.

At least this thread started in 2022, not 2002. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson