Basic lead work

Cut Sorry but I must disagree with you on the expensive material of sheet Lead. Its one of the cheaper metal used in the construction industry. Try buying the same in Copper, Aluminium or Stainless steel.

The marking out and cutting of Lead step flashing is one of the simpler thing to do in Lead. Lead burning, bossing internal & external corners takes a bit more experience.

Keith Nottm

Reply to
tony green

But surely zinc is the obvious alternative? However, I wasn't meaning to compare it to other metals, cost wise, but really other common DIY materials like MDF etc which isn't that costly to experiment with.

Absolutely. But I'd certainly not discourage a DIYer from having a go, as it is an enormously satisfying material to work with. And if done correctly, should 'see you out' as the saying goes, unlike many other DIY tasks like external woodwork, painting, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But if you get it wrong with MDF you've usually wasted it. Lead you can take back to the scrappy or sell on to someone who makes their own shot. Provided it's only been cut up, and not contaminated, should get a comparatively good price.

Owain

Reply to
Owain