Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name. Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard, Formica and Evo-Stick?

Reply to
cd

Barry Bucknall?

Reply to
charles

I do.

Reply to
Bod

Bod wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Very nearly 100% but it was BucknEll.

Reply to
soup

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Reply to
soup

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

thus preserving them for a future generation to restore them :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've heard of him, but I didn't have a telly in those days!

He certainly didn't "start it all" though. I've been doing DIY since long before that - late 50's I reckon. I suppose he may have made people more aware of possibilities.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well on the bright side, it actually preserved some decent doors and prevented them being replaced by eggbox nasties. At least one can pull the hardboard off.

Reply to
John Rumm

If he is the one with the big yankee driver, then yup - just about.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why, FFS?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I do, and I think he was a bit before the 70s - 1950s more like - and he was Barry 'Bucknell'.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Panelled doors seen as old-fashioned and dust-collectors.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Only because Barry told him to.

Reply to
EricP

Or us old carpenters to cut our then young teeth, repairing some the errors that were made by the then budding DiYers - thus earning a few shillings to add to our beer money pot. Tax free of course!

Ah, nostalgia - that's about the only thing I can do now without some bloody body joint or other hurting.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Same with the staicase in lots of houses, including this one.

I pulled off the hardboard, stripped the paint, and replaced the plain spindles with some inexpensive turned ones. Applied woodstain, and it really sets off the hall.

And yes, it does collect more dust.

Reply to
Graham.

Because Barry did a programme about modernising the look...

Actually, he did the banisters all down the stairs too. Hardboard both sides!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In my Grans case a couple were still damaged from debri bashing into them in the Blitz , the OP mentioned the 70's but Bucknell started over a decade before then.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg