Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

I am pretty sure my dad did ours in the very early 1960s.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes - but easily undone - we had great fund "restoring" our doors. Hardboard was only panel pinned on and after that we just had to pull the stops off and re position them.

The hardest bit was dealing with the 1930's "varnish". Turned to toffee under heat and needed gallons of painstripper. Impossible to sand.

In the end a light sand to key it and overcoat with non-drip gloss seemed to be the easiest way.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The man most responsible for tens of thousands of panelled Victorian doors. Otoh, if he hadn't done that (or rather, inspired (if that's the word) legions of aspiring DIYers to do that, we'd not have the joy of finding some ancient doors under hardboard even now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

Reply to
Andy Cap

For the same reason so many people are now choosing to install free-standing baths. Because lots of people like to follow fashion.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Cos it went with the stone cladding and the muriels :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What a bloody silly idea they are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cos Barry told him to do it ;-)

Reply to
Bod

Wasn't he the one that demonstrated a kitchen waste disposal unit (unheard of back then) by dropping a glass bottle in? F***d it up live on air!

Reply to
harryagain

Or likewise the railings on the staircase!

Reply to
harryagain

harryagain

And a bit later the Artex!

Reply to
harryagain

Yes I recall him and others. all these round the house jobs on tv is certainly not a new thing. It was normally on a sunday morning. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not the one to ask, I'm still using lino ! ;-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

indeed. We found both when we moved in here in 1977. Oh, and the beamed ceiling covered over, too.

Reply to
charles

Rip it up.

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes I remember him as well.

Because the programmes were live he had as much material pre-prepared as po ssible, including setting nails. He told the story about the old dear who w ent to her timber merchants ans asked for the plywood Barry Bucknell used. When asked for more detail she said the one with the nails in it.

Reply to
fred

Which is what we had back in the 50s and 60s.

The biggest waste of money and space I've seen in years.