Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name. Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard, Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 23/11/2014 21:00, charles wrote:

I do.

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)
On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:

My Dad did that!!!

So did mine.
We had a nice pine kitchen table. One weekend the pine top was removed and replaced with a rectangular piece of new-fangled chipboard, with the corners chopped off at 45 degrees, then covered with a sheet of red formica and black edgeing stuck on with evostick.
if the panelled doors (or ornate balistrades) were just panelled in with hardboord, then they were preserved and protected for future generations. It was the berks who ripped all the cornicing and features out who ruined houses.
Barry was interviewed about 10 to 15 years ago on TV and he was still 'at it'. He showed the interviewer his tea-trolley nicely upgraded with a set of set of big rubber castor wheels that would be more at home on a hospital trolley.
On 24/11/2014 15:52, Andrew wrote:

I suspect that it was a bit more than that. He died almost 12 years ago, aged 91.
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:34:56 PM UTC, soup wrote:

thus preserving them for a future generation to restore them :-)
Owain
On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:

Well on the bright side, it actually preserved some decent doors and prevented them being replaced by eggbox nasties. At least one can pull the hardboard off.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:

Yes - but easily undone - we had great fund "restoring" our doors. Hardboard was only panel pinned on and after that we just had to pull the stops off and re position them.
The hardest bit was dealing with the 1930's "varnish". Turned to toffee under heat and needed gallons of painstripper. Impossible to sand.
In the end a light sand to key it and overcoat with non-drip gloss seemed to be the easiest way.
On 24/11/2014 01:28, Tim Watts wrote:

Which then chips back to black/brown etc...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.
On 24/11/2014 06:32, Andy Cap wrote:

My grand parents started taking in lodgers when he stopped working but the council made him cover all the doors with asbestos on both sides, overpainted to look like a smooth door.
On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:

Very nearly 100% but it was BucknEll.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:00:01 +0000, charles wrote:

The very one, from the subject line!
My dad hardboarded all our doors...
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:

I've heard of him, but I didn't have a telly in those days!
He certainly didn't "start it all" though. I've been doing DIY since long before that - late 50's I reckon. I suppose he may have made people more aware of possibilities.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:

If he is the one with the big yankee driver, then yup - just about.
--
Cheers,

John.

Why, FFS?
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:12:04 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:

Panelled doors seen as old-fashioned and dust-collectors.
Owain