Ballpark figure

Have you never heard of over the fire place,the mantle piece is nice and chunky/wide and a mirror smaller than a mantle piece looks out of place, a couple of inches smaller is ok.

It's called VAT(Value Added Tax). :-( a two ounce pkt of tobacco in france or any othe european country outside the uk is about 2.25GBP(if that?) in the UK it's 10.50GBP...hows that for gov ripping us off.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mirrors can be used for other things; to make a room appear bigger, for example.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are familiar with the concept in NZ, but they call it GST, and it's only 12.5%

a two ounce pkt of tobacco in france

That's more due to Excise duty rather than VAT

Reply to
Andy Burns

Assuming good eyesight ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But they tax more things than we do, like food.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

VAT is ace! I don't buy anything!

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

VAT is 'only' 17.5% and european countries all have it anyway. Tobacco and fuel in the UK have a 'special' tax called duty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not surprising. Kiwis are not large birds.......

Actually it's mainly duty. I think it's great. Should be at least triple that figure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If everyone who smokes cuts down or stops due to these pub bans etc you do realise *your* taxes will go up to fund the reduction in duty? Then there's the cost to the puplic purse of all those who stop living longer...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At work we have a room containing about 180 mirrors, each 2 metres by 1 metre. People get lost in it every day.

Reply to
Nick

When's the fair coming to Liverpool?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Similar flaw in the campaign to abolish or reduce Inheritance Tax. Just means that everyone (including those who would fall below the IHT threshold) will pay more direct or indirect tax during their lifetime and save less to pass on to their children.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

There's no way we're shifting it 20,000km. What amazes me is that nobody has broken any mirrors, and that someone decided to pay for the things in the first place if they are £200 each in the UK. Maybe we got a discount for quantity.

Reply to
Nick

Where? What? Why? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

But the money will be spent on something else instead which will probably be taxable. The same is true in reverse: when the Daily Mail gets hysterical about all the extra money that Gordon is getting because of higher oil prices, it forgets that less money is being spent elsewhere so other tax receipts fall.

Start living longer, you mean? The next lot can pay for them ...

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Communal brothel?

Reply to
Bob Eager

No - stop (smoking) living longer... ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Every time I 'hear' the banners advocating 'this will live the lives of n thousand people every year who die unnecessarily of $Cause*-related disease!", I have a mental image of a Pension-fund Actuary bursting through the door screaming 'Stop!".

  • insert favourite demon.
Reply to
Brian Sharrock