Ball & socket to hold mirror?

I want to mount a mirror on the side of my desktop PC so I can see through the window to my side without moving my head.

A car overtaking mirror seems ideal and I want to mount it such that it can swivel and be adjusted. A ball and socket would be nice but I don't see many of these available.

(A spiral wound metal arm has too much "spring" and springs back a distance to where it was moved from.)

Where can I get a ball & socket which has a decently wide range of action?

Reply to
Alex Coleman

Alex Coleman ( snipped-for-privacy@no-email.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why not just get a "Monitor Mirror"? They're purpose designed for exactly that. Most of the cheesier PC suppliers will have 'em for between a fiver and a tenner, or you can often scrounge 'em free-but-branded if you go to computer industry trade shows.

Alternatively, think classic car mirror - the type on the end of a steel bar-type arm. £25 or so should sort you with something that'll have as much adjustment as you need, and a nice easy mount onto the monitor.

Reply to
Adrian

Could you perhaps fabricate something from this ... ?

also do larger sizes...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

There are (or used to be) auxillary mirrors at Halfords et al intended for mounting temporarily on the passenger side, for the use of drivers accompanying learner drivers (my dad used one when I was learning) - had a ball/socket mounted on a sucker.

Alternatively, you can get mirror especially for mounting on PC monitors as you describe (for office workers who don't like being sneaked up upon!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Alex Coleman contains these words:

Use a truck mirror instead. They come with a handy arm and already have a positionable joint.

Reply to
Guy King

=========================== You might be able to cannibalise one of these:

Cicero

Alex Coleman wrote in news:Xns97FDC2369D87B71F3M4@

127.0.0.1:

Screw a couple of bike mirrors into the top - sorted :-)

Reply to
Tunku

Why a mirror? why cant you use a usb webcam pointed out the window and a variable sized image on the corner of the the screen.

Webcams are not just for uploading to the web you know.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Arghhhh! I tried one of those which I got from Maplin. All the joints don't grip well because of the smooth metal finish. And I did cannibalise it but it didn't much help. :-(

Reply to
Alex Coleman

Why not get a swivel chair? Or move your desk. Or put a dummy in the chair while you peer through the window from another room.

Reply to
Mark W