Backups

No matter what you use, you test it.

You can't just back stuff up like a demon, and sit there with a smug look on your face.

I can give an example. At work, there was a hotshot entry level manager. One day he tells us "the backup software for our new OS is finished". Now, to me "finished" means certain things, as I expect it would mean to our customers.

OK, so the tape library is filling up with tapes. The server goes down. Senior manager says "time to get a restore going on that new backup software". OK, fire up the software and "boom", restore failure. Says the hotshot manager "oh, we didn't test restore because we didn't have the equipment for it".

And this is the hotshot manager, not one of the more regular, conservative managers... grrr.

So don't be that guy, OK ?

*Always* prove to your own satisfaction, that the product everyone else is using, does something useful for you.

When I dialed in my backup software, my first images were done with "dd", because... I knew that worked, and even if the whizzy software did not work, I had a plan for how to restore the production environment to a working state. Sure, "dd" is slow, but it's like a bank account. Practice with it enough, and you'll trust it.

My purpose saying that, is not to promote "dd". It's to promote the concept of "working from an established base of trust". Yes, I'm doing an experiment with the new stuff, but I also have materials handy if things go very very wrong. It doesn't matter what the reliable materials are, as long as they work for you.

Dialing in backup software, can benefit from having a couple empty hard drives handy, for the experiments. You can't do these things on a shoestring. The spare hard drives are also sitting there in the box, for when the regular hard drive croaks.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

+1

I'd guess the scammers use a 64GB and fake the parameters to report availability. Any decent disk tester will find the true size by writing random number junk startin gfrom a known seed and then verifying.

There are now some legit 512GB genuine ones at about the £100+ mark.

Reply to
Martin Brown

At home, we keep all of our files on a home Linux server, not on our individual Windows machines) that server keeps everything on raid arrays to guard against disk failure. Those arrays are in turn backed up over the network to a rotating sequence of USB hard disks, connected to a Raspberry Pi.

Files are simply Rsynced, so no proprietary backup format and can be tested simply be reading a few files.

I have considered moving the Pi and disks to my parents - protecting against having everything stolen or destroyed at the same time, but that would involve getting them to keep swapping disks.

Reply to
Steve Walker

When TLC came out, 32GB chips seemed to be a popular size, and 16GB chips were made from 32GB rejects.

I would think a >32GB file, written in, then read back out, should have the wrong checksum. Or, maybe the read will fail completely because "it's too slow".

The people who buy these, have never managed to carry out a test when I ask them. Neither the capacity tester, nor the manual test method.

Windows 10 (it is claimed), now supports more than one partition on a USB stick. You could create a 400GB partition, not use it, a 100GB partition, put just a small file in the

100GB partition, and all hell should break loose (since there's not really a partition stored there and no partition header).

If Windows 10 won't allow you to test that way, Linux will for sure. The variety of "strange symptoms" when setting up multiple partitions past the 32GB mark, should be evidence enough.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There are plenty of programs around.

I use F3 on FreeBSD. It probably works on Linux.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Pretty well exactly how I do it, except that we also have backed-up roaming profiles.

And the non-Windows machines (the majority) are all FreeBSD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's very unusual to quote storage as Terabits, unless that is the con in the advert, or you are not PC literate.

Reply to
jon

To be honest if its a business database, back up locally in total and do a cloud back up as well in case of fire or computer theft or ransomware. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

He said it was windows 8, but I always thought all windows had a complete back up system these days, if not there are a lot of them about. If the internet is fast then cloud back up should be done as well. In my case although it would be awkward, my cash flow does not depend on a computer! I have a local 1tb usb drive for the back up so if I really wanted to I could take it away. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What advert?

Reply to
JNugent

I look after accounts for a branch of a charity. On:Laptop, Desktop & the Cloud.

Reply to
charles

You can reprogram the drive controller to report any size you like.

Copy a TB on, and then do a file compare with the source. I would be very surprised if it were legit at that price.

Reply to
John Rumm

VMS/Rdb handles this by establishing a 'quiet point' and then the backups can proceed while the users are unaware of this. This has been the case for over 2 decades, so I'm surprised that there are still database management systems that require all the users to be booted out while it is backed up.

Reply to
Andrew

If it is really important you can only really be safe by having it backed up in total on three entirely independent media with at least one of the copies off site or in a fire safe.

Even then there are still ways it can go wrong. I have know tapes that would only read on the hardware that wrote them which is a bit tricky if that hardware is one of the things that has failed.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Same for me.

+1
Reply to
Allan

I have a pile of ex data-centre 1 and 2TB 3.5inch disc drives. These fit nicely in a desktop USB adapter. I regularly image the whole system with dd after booting linux from a USB stick. I also usualIy generate a checksum of the source drive and the target drive to ensure that the clone is bit-exact. It may not be the quickest way of doing backups, but I am very confident in the reliability. John

Reply to
John Walliker

The whole machine only has 60gb on it.

Not a massive bother I wouldn't have thought.

Yes, so I read in this thread, I shall look into the ins and outs of that. While on the subject I look after a handful of websites, if i'm tinkering i'll export using phpma and drop and import if I make a balls up. Is that a bad idea? Should they somehow be shut down first?

Reply to
R D S

PHPMyAdmin is making calls to the database engine to do what it does - it is not attempting to fiddle with the database files at the file system level. So it's a safe way to do it.

Reply to
John Rumm