B&Q Wind turbines

Im hardly an Anti as I am seriously considering installing a wind-turbine But I do object to Windsave misleading advertising. The long-term effect will only harm people's opinion of renewable energy use.

i dont think so.

Dan

Reply to
DJT

Our local hospital has limited parking space. We often found the car park nearest the neo-natal unit full and had to park the other side of the rather large site, often still having to wait for a place to become free.

This even though the hospital was built on an isolated greenfields site and is surrounded by space. During the planning stage the local authority deliberately forced the consortium to provide less spaces than the projected need "to encourage the use of public transport" Unfortunately our county is a rural one with a poor public transport network so you can guess the outcome of that marvellous policy.

HLAH

Yes: we get that both where I live (Northumberland) and where I work (Newcastle). I would be less hostile to these brilliant ideas if the "public transport" were also owned and run by the public. There's almost no choice at all, except to use your car; and when there is a choice, you look at the crappy, dirty, noisy, **extremely* expensive* PT option, and then you look at your car, and you think: sod it.

By the way for my commuting, I car-share with three others. That doesn't make me feel smug; it makes me feel less guilty about being alive in Mr Blair's Britain[1]. (Ey! I used to vote Labour a long time ago!)

John

[1] Sorry. This is not Mr Blair's Britain. This is Mrs Bastard Thatcher's Britain, overlaid with Mr Blair's thick veneer of finger-wagging political correctness.

Sorry: I notice this thread is called "B&Q Wind turbines"

Reply to
John

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:56:03 -0000 someone who may be "HLAH" wrote this:-

The people who should be blamed for this sort of thing are whatever the NHS is called this week. They are the ones who have decided to build most new hospitals in the middle of nowhere, usually partly at the behest of some senior quack who wants somewhere to park his car.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 7 Nov 2006 07:34:45 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote this:-

According to the antis you must be lying, because they would never tell you that in their desire to sell you a "useless" turbine:-)

Reply to
David Hansen

Precisely... you only need look at the example in shop photo of a turbine installed below the ridge line in an urban area alongside the claims of (up to) 30% off your electricity bill.

Reply to
John Rumm

The B&Q rubbish will probably put the whole thing back 100 years.

Reply to
EricP

In the hospital I was talking about, it's in the inner city. Houses were demolished to make the car park I used.

The other major hospital in our city is in the city centre, that's even more difficult. They built a multi-storey car park for that.

But there ARE buses ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor do I.

But I've no experience of Windsave so can#'t comment with authority.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The ones I was thinking of are West Middlesex and Kingston which were originally Victorian workhouses and are now in the middle of suburbia.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If they sell more than a few dozen, the backlash from the failure to perform will be trumpeted from every media orifice. Sales of the things dropping is a good thing, but not the research on them. It's only the 1890 science in them that makes them mediocre. Nobody has chucked money at the device to bring the concept into this century.

Reply to
EricP

You really are a dim pillock. Here nulabor have decided to put all regional A&E at Watford, closing other (easily accessible) units around the area to pay for it. There is of course a minor problem with this well thought out strategy. Watford General Hospital is in the middle of somewhere, specifically it on a narrow road next door to Watford Football Club and easily accessible from the town centre (where no one lives) and local to several schools. This means that it is impossible to reach (blue light and sirens included) between

07:00 and 10:00 and 15:00 and 19:00 weekdays and more or less all day Saturday when the footy supporters both fill the few hospital car parks and abandon coaches across the (one) hospital entrance. You can however get a local bus at 1 hour intervals although the 10:00 bus you catch is really the 07:00 running a bit late.

The local ambulance service tried a number of test runs which came back as "incomplete" because the shift change occurred before the crew who had set out from 4 miles away and two hours previously with lights and sirens going got to the hospital.

This is good?

Reply to
Peter Parry

What a simple life you have, occupied only by pros and antis. To test your simple outlook I asked Mr B&Q if one of their windmills would work here (DTI (incorrect) wind estimate showing at 4.4m/s average), actual about 1-2m/s. They said of course it would. I asked if they would give any performance guarantee; of course they wouldn't. I asked if I could get my money back if it didn't work at all; of course I couldn't.

How accurate were their figures I asked - very they said - come from an official government database. If they are that good why can't you give me any performance guarantee I asked. Phone went dead.

Those with less blinkered views than your own will probably be able to draw their own conclusions.

Reply to
Peter Parry

company, who told me that it would not work round here. There's no point in them selling equipment that won't work.

Sounds like B&Q need to train their people.

Reply to
seaside01

Not necessarily, because complaining will be the equivalent of donning an "I'm a sucker" badge. Do they have any sort of meter showing how much electricity they have produced? I suspect not, so those who have paid up can tell themselves how much higher their bill would have been if they hadn't bought one.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

and have the RSPCA on their backs? Somehow I think they will prefer to sell more boxes to the uninformed and make money for their shareholders.

Reply to
Matt

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:01:40 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

You are lucky. Around here they have been moved to the middle of nowhere, in order to sell the land and fund the move.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:48:23 +0000 someone who may be Peter Parry wrote this:-

Excellent, a personal attack.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:04:00 GMT someone who may be Tony Bryer wrote this:-

Depends on the facilities provided by the box that connects it to the external supply.

Reply to
David Hansen