B&Q Makita Drill Set

Seen a 18V cordless makita drill with a range of bits and bobs today for 99 pound in B&Q. Dont know the model but does anyone here know the drill and know if its worth the money please.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Was it like this one?

SJP

Might be the same one as the screwfix set? they do it for £99.99 as well.

Reply to
George

Is it the same offer as this?

(You could buy that one via

and get 4 quid knocked off!)

I don't think many people would disagree that you won't go far wrong with a Makita... (just wait for the Medway Handyman to add his two penn'orth).

I think it's probably the same drill Screwfix were recently selling for

79 quid and which I bought - if so, it's definitely very good. Consider what you want to use it for though: it is reasonably heavy so if you don't need it the power, you might be better off choosing a cheaper, lighter one.

I suppose the only issue is that it uses the older NiCd batteries rather than more modern ones - doesn't bother me unduly though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Its a fair amount of drill for the money. The only real downsides are the relatively low capacity batts (1.3Ah), and it has a two handed chuck rather than the very nice single handed one they use on the more expensive drills.

The supplied charger will charge both NiCd and NiMh cells, so when it comes time to buy it a new battery, you could always substitute a higher capacity one then.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it better than the Ryobi one with the free impact driver in terms that matter to a DIY person?

Reply to
dennis

Of course.

Can you define the meaning of a "DIY person"?

Hint: It is not a one size fits all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It will be a better drill without a doubt, however whether you consider it better value is a different matter. The Ryobi stuff I have tried has all be distinctly average - better than most of the shop own brand stuff, but nothing special (green Bosch, posh end of B&D in relative terms).

To be fair, I have not tried that particular model of drill either, but based on experience with a number of the other Makita models it would probably be fair to expect to be tough and last well, it should have a very good speed controller that can deliver significant torque at low rotations speeds, and the torque stops ought to be fairly consistent. The charger will be very good, and it will not damage the cells. Spares will be available for donkeys years.

Reply to
John Rumm

Forget about the bits & bobs, they are a cheap gimmick.

Here it is! You won't go wrong with anything Makita make, top brand, does exactly what it says on the tin. The mutts nuts.

Not sure if this offer is still on

but for another £30 you could have a drill driver & a combi.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one in B&Q I "think" has one charger but two batteries with it. Its just for doing up a house. I dont want a cheap one though, I want one that will last.

Thanks all.....again

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Someone who isn't going to hammer the tools every day.

No, but most diy people are quite happy to save 50% and have a tool that lasts 10 years of their use even if it would only last a trades person 1 year. What they don't want is something that is harder to use and will pay a premium for ease of use.

Reply to
dennis

I would like an impact driver too but they are procey for a good one. I have some decking to do in summer and its one tool amongst many I dont have,

So the Makita it is then, the screwfix offer is out of stock unless anyone else has any good suggestions.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

The ryobi impact driver works quite well.. drives four and five inch screws with ease. My brother is a life long chippie but has never used one, after a couple of screws I couldn't get it back. screwfix, £99, two batts, one charger, bag and a two speed hammer drill.

Reply to
dennis

My lucky bag £9.99 Aldi super duper special cordless, can drive in 4 or 5 inch screws as well Dennis.

Reply to
George

With no torque on the user? That appears to be the biggest difference.

Reply to
dennis

Too restricted a definition.

There are many more factors than rate of use and price.

The whole point of a better product such as a Makita drill is that it has a better build quality, is better controlled and has a far more crisp mechanical action than the Techtronics Ryobi product. Ergo it is easier to use.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not to mention the speed. Impact drivers are much faster than drill drivers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

or a drill driver and an impact driver@

John Rumm

That looks better value than the original one if the chuck is big enough for the OP. Three batteries too.

Reply to
dennis

Showing my ignorance here but what's the difference and when would I want to use an impact driver?

David

Reply to
Lobster