B&Q Eco-wool insulation roll material

Prolly available elsewhere but B&Q have been promoting it recently. I bought a roll to try and thought I'd offer a heads-up on it.

It is, as it says on the tin, completely non-irritating (well; unless you have some allergy to the stuff it's made of: it's not itchy like glass fibre or rockwool).

It's a bit like wool fleece, and its fibres are considerably stronger than glass fibre & rockwool. This would make it good for lagging pipework, tanks, cylinders etc where it wouldn't fall apart like glass fibre or rockwool. However its strength is a serious disadvantage for insulating stud walls or ceilings. A small bit of the wool caught between plasterboard and stud where you're trying to fix the board with a plasterboard screw is likely to wrap itself around the screw thread and pull in more and more fibre until it builds up into a big wodge which holds the board away from the stud, or breaks a chunk of board and/or pulls it away if it's already screwed down nearby.

Not a problem if one nails the board rather than screws it but still a problem anytime anyone tries to drill into the board: the fibre will wrap round the drill bit.

I personally will stick to using it for lagging plumbing.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Why do I have this feeling that you have had a recent and unfortunate experience with a sheet of plasterboard, some eco-wool and a screwdriver? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Because I have had this recent unfortunate experience with ...

:-)

Reply to
John Stumbles