B&Q

That does tend to be the problem. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And it has taken B&Q this long to discover that? But how come the Homebase opposite still exists? Given their chequered past?

Or are you just banging your same tired old gong?

Think about it. If house prices are so high you have to struggle to buy, even more reason to save money by DIY.

Not sure this B&Q was even built in 2004.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A £30oddk mortgage assumes approaching a £20k deposit. That's not easy to save when renting.

And I don't think people in casual employment / zero hours contracts find it easy to get a mortgage.

I think also people are more inclined to rent, and spend their money on shiny toys, on the assumption that they can't afford to buy. They probably could if they scrimped and saved and lived with the in-laws, but some people have different priorities.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That assumes that its possible to buy something to DIY. That is far less often the case now than when you did that.

Reply to
John_j

This is a bit of a theme. Our Wickes has closed to be turned into a second Aldi, while Homebase across the road has chopped its shed in half and the other bit is a... Lidl.

We still have 0.5 Homebases, B&Q, TS x2, SF x3 (if you include the one in the middle of nowhere near a yet to be built suburb), TLC, QVS, CEF, TP x2, Jewson, Ridgeons x2, etc etc so can't complain too much :)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

We have an Aldi a mile away next to Morrisons, Lidl (soon to be) a mile away in the opposite direction. Sainsburys 2 miles away (two, in opposite directions).

Homebase less than half a mile away, B&Q 2 miles, SF 2 miles (almost next door to each other). TS is 8 miles away, or about 12 (latter is faster to get to). I wish TS was nearer! And the good local ironmonger 1 mile away.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wonder which sells more power tools, per week per metre of shelf space ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I wonder how you work it out if you order it on-line.

Reply to
whisky-dave

This is what i'm seeing. My son drives newer cars than I do, wears fancy watches etc. but by the looks of it will never own a house.

Unless the missus & I die, then he'll own a house and 2 shops. Might change my will and leave the lot to the local dog charity.

Reply to
R D S

You don't need to ask that. The fast turnover of the Lidl stuff is how it is such incredible value. Miles better than a cheap shed brand.

My nearest shed is a Wickes. With a Toolstation in it. Makes you wonder how Wickes sell anything that ToolStation also sells, given the higher prices.

Wickes also hold the record for selling the worst timber anywhere. Even although it may be cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps it's not as important to this generation to own a house as it was to 'ours'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A good number of those who do will be buying on line, where there's going to be a bigger choice. (I went to my local B&Q probably twice last year, and it was deadly quiet compared to how it used to be, even on quiet days. Then Tesco doesn't see as many customers in person as it used to either.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

B&Q timber is just as bad, but not cheap :-(

Reply to
Andrew

unless it's for a rubbish project, I go to a proper timber merchant

Reply to
charles

What 'proper timber merchant'? I've not seen any of them for quite a while.

Reply to
Chris Green

we've one about 5 miles away and theer are more round about.

Reply to
charles

6 miles: Morrisons, Lidl, SF, 6 miles(other way): Waitrose, Sainsbury, local Builders merchant 12 miles: SF, TS, and an industrial estate or two of independent tools, decorating and hardware shops, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda (never been there), Lidl, and about-to-open Aldi.
Reply to
DJC

If people are not buying to DIY then it will be sold to a developer, who will have to factor in a profit, so ?if you are prepared to DIY? there is a barhain to be had.

Reply to
DJC

I recently had some building supplies delivered. They came on a pallet. The quality of the wood from the pallet is far superior than I've seen in B&Q. Unfortunately getting the nails out is a PITA. Obviously fired from a nail gun they seem to have a barbed section half an inch up the shaft from the point making them almost impossible to remove from the thicker cross sectional wood.

Reply to
alan_m

It isnt hard to make a decent profit on the older more run down properties by doing them up and then selling them to those changing houses who already own a house.

But that assumes that you can somehow fund the original purchase and far fewer can do that than used to do that in the past.

Its much easier for those whose whole business is serially buying older properties and doing them up and selling them again.

Reply to
John_j