Strange heating/DHW boiler?

Went to have a look at a flat that I am thinking about buying to do up.

An elderly lady, small flat in a terrible state (shame on her family...). She was suffering from dementia, and the estate agent knew nothing about the place, and asked me to only spend a few minutes there as she would get distressed otherwise. I was therefore unable to have a really good look around.

One thing that puzzled me was the method of heating the place & the hot water.

There was clearly heating as the place was warm, and there were warm radiators in every room. It was advertised as having gas fired central heating.

There was no "standard" looking radiator anywhere to be found (it is a small place and I checked carefully). I managed to very partially open a cupboard in one of the bedroom that was all but impossible to open because of the mess. In it I was something that I have never seen before. A grey rounded cylinder-type object, approx 1.2m in length and around 30cm across, with some sort of dial/control mechanism around the middle of it. Initially I though that it was hot water tank with electric immersion heating, but I can only assume that this was in fact some kind of boiler. There was also a functioning standard looking controller/thermostat unit in the hallway.

sorry, forgot my phone in the car, so no photos.

Any idea what that could be was? I only want to reassure myself that replacing it with a combi boiler would not require major work - i.e. new pipes/gas supply/water/etc. It was top floor, so it is possible that there was a tank in the attic, but this is not a major issue to remove as I prefer a combi.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Fitting a combi does usually require a bunch of pipework. Typically the gas feed pipe isn't big enough, and of course the new HW cct is rather different. The old boiler position isn't always reusable too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If its a block maybe one of the other residents there might have more idea of what was put in each flat? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Could it be a communal heating system for the building, and the cylinder you saw is a heat exchanger between the building loop and the flat's water?

If so,

- there may be no gas supply to the flat, or possibility of installing one

- there may be limited control over heating season

- there may be a major maintenance liability coming up for the communal boiler

Asking a neighbour or the freeholder would probably be best.

Also if the lady has dementia is there a current and registered Power of Attorney in place as otherwise no-one has authority to sell the flat?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes I was just thinking the same thing, you can get in an awfully expensive mess through the family trying to sell the flat of a relative without power of attorney. Blimey. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Flat is 250 mile round trip from me...

Reply to
JoeJoe

I wouldn't think so. It is a block of 4 - really looks like a council-house-type semi, but with two additional entrances on the side for the upstairs flats. So 2 flats at the top and two at the bottom - all with separate entrances. Built around 1930.

Reply to
JoeJoe

It is a 250 mile/5 hour round trip away from me unfortunately, and everything from here will need to be done over the phone/email etc

I'll leave that to my lawyer to sort out if the numbers add up and I decide to go for it doesn't look too promising at the moment).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Just received the schedule from the agents. On the floorplan it refers to it as Hot Water Cylinder. Very possible. Even assuming that it is electric, there was no sign of a gas boiler as far as I could tell... Unless it was part of the cylinder?

JoeJoe

Intention is to move/fit the boiler to the left of where the kitchen sink is in the plan.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Baxi Bermuda back boiler behind the gas fire?

Rightmove link if there is one?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Too close to the kitchen window? Might have to go to the right instead.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Smart thinking. Could well be the case.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Extension piece/plume adaptor?

Reply to
ARW

That's a strange layout. Normally hot water source and hot water taps are grouped close together so that you get instant hot water when you open a tap.

You got to get a better look. This is an expensive investment and you could get even more expense in any alterations. Any worthwhile estate agent would have sorted all this out. Sounds to me like underfloor heating. Possible even a central plant.(To save on installation costs.) There could be legal implications for a central plant.

Look for an outside flue. (Google Street view?)

Reply to
harry

As I realise you are not able to nip around for a look are there any signs of external gas box meters on street view?

Any other flats sold recently that you could find on the net and see what they had? Many past sales still have their records and photos on estate agents web sites.

Reply to
ARW

HWC beside chimney, so maybe, as someone already suggested, a back boiler in fireplace?

Reply to
DJC

Compete PITA to get furniture, carpets or any other large/heavy item in or out.

Reply to
alan_m

Isn't that the chimney breast in the lounge (backing on to the kitchen)?

Reply to
Tim+

Good point, and very possible.

Anyway, I was the first viewer - it was just put on the market. It was advertised as "Offers over...".

My plan was to work out the numbers, put a cheeky offer in to test the water, and increase gradually over a day or two until I found the sweet spot.

Told the agent that I was very interested and that I would get back to her within a couple of days, and to keep me posted. Emailed her yesterday morning to tell her that I was going to phone today to discuss details.

Phone today. "Sorry, we just accepted an offer"...

Bet the vendors would be pleased to know that they could potentially lost on £000's more because she couldn't be bothered. Say 1.5% on £10,000 is £150 extra for her - why would she care.

Reply to
JoeJoe