Combi-boiler heating at random

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a problem I am having with my combi-boiler. The problem is that the central heating comes on at apparently random times, outside of the times set by the timer, and at a high temperature regardless of the temperature settings. This happens even when switched to "hot water only", i.e. the only way to stop this happening appears to be by switching off the boiler completely. It occurs intermittently for say half an hour at a time, but it is a bit annoying especially now the weather is improving!

I don't have the combi-boiler model description to hand, if this would be useful I can supply later. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this. To be honest I suspect I'll have to call someone more knowledgeable than myself out for this, but if I can be armed with some idea of what's going on hopefully I can avoid any unnecessary expense. Many thanks in advance,

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul Graham

Is it a wireless timer?

One of my relatives had a wireless remote timer and so did his neighbour,both remotes where identical and the neighbours was triggering the relatives reciever in the bathroom and vice versa. It was pure coincidence that the relatives wife was to talking to the neighbours wife about it that they happened to stumble on what might be happening as it seemed too much of a coincidence that both parties should have the same problem.

Uncanny but true.

Not saying this is happening to you but something wireless might be triggering it?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

An interesting idea, but no, the timer is wired.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Graham

Could be a warm start facility possibly as an option or as a permanent feature.

A tad more to go on than "combi-boiler" would assist.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Dodgy microswitch on the hot water flow sensor wossname? Presumably the heat then goes to the radiators, as there isn't any actual flow...

Kim.

Reply to
kimble

Dodgy frost stat? (possibly built-in, and utilising one of the water sensors)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The boiler is an ALPHA CB24X

Reply to
Paul Graham

Thanks to everyone who responded. It turns out that it *was* a dodgy microswitch on the hot water wossname :) First prize to Kim

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul Graham