60 Volts AC from ariel cable

While plugging in the ariel behind my PC, touching the PC case, I got quite a tingle. On checking, a meter reads 60 Volts AC between the ariel screen and earth. A google search reveals this is not so unusual, but is it healthy?
Regards,
Neil
On Mon, 29 May 2006 13:39:38 +0100, Neil

Only 60? Mine goes up to 84v! Varies from 20 to 84, can't find the source of it or eliminate it. :((
EricP wrote:

think about it :)
. wrote:

Ok, we've done that - want to spill the beans now?

Nah!, its the "wire" come back!, didn't you see Dr Who last week;-)....
--
Tony Sayer

Cheers! I will keep the telly disconnected.
EricP wrote:

A few random thoughts:
1. Are you close to overhead power lines ? 2. Measuring with a digital VM is not reliable as its impedance is very high and it responds to capacitive pick-up ie. electrostatics. 3. When measuring to earth, is that the earth on the mains, or on the PC case. Usually PC's are earthed while laptops aren't.
john2

You did say from your PC not TV didn't you?.
Presume you have a PC with a TV card therein?..
--
Tony Sayer

It is any ground/earth connection, being a case or aerial outer sheath.

Yes but it is still present whether the aerial is plugged into the card or not. I can't say it's a leak from the card.

Without wishing to hijack the OP's thread.

No.
Mine is between the aerial outer and any appliance earth like my PC cases. Also sheath/PC case to mains earth at any socket.
There is a varying voltage of low current on the chassis of the appliances.
Socket checks are fine with E to N = zero, L to E = 240, L to N = 240. There appears to be no faulty wiring at any socket, or in the ring.
I can decrease the voltage by half by simply switching the four sockets, ( single pole), off that supply the PC's, T and associated crap that goes with them.

hey, feel free :)

me neither

yup, (dare i say) me too definately the earth, both the pin of a socket, the case of the PC and a radiator tail...

Yes, same here, every (or several) TV-related appliance seems to be contributing...
I (we) could, of course, earth the ariel shield, but would that be a good idea?
Neil wrote:

It'll be earthed anyway if you connect it to a PCI TV card. I've also gotten an electric shock between the metal aerial plug and an earthed casing... the aerial is shared between several other flats so I don't know if the electricity is coming from one of them :)
Alex
On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:21:59 +0100, Neil

I knew you had quality, but they seem to have got bored and left us to die!

Rad tail! I missed that one. :(( Suppose we could get Brownie Points by bonding every bit of pipework, and please the purists in here.

Dunno! Sounds *bad*. And I don't know how to earth the thing.
Oh bum!
Neil wrote:

I believe thunder&lightning are on the way. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I once measured 6kV, with an electrostatic voltmeter, on an isolated wire on the roof when a thunderstorm was about to start. Once the rain started the volts went away.
Bloody hell, this is driving me nuts. Got to be Pedantic
ITS AERIAL, not arial, thats washing powder.
< rant over>
Dave

Yebbut Ariel Sharon was Irael's Prime Minister till he stroked out...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

No, that's a font.
Ariel's Prospero's gofer.
I guess you were using flourescent light
mike

You must know by now it's not possible to post a pedant post without making a mistake of your own...
The washing powder is Ariel, as is the fairy (both Fairy Liquid and Ariel are made by Proctor and Gamble)
The typeface is Arial
The thing that receives radio signals is an aerial.
--
Skipweasel

On my degree course, they preferred the term 'antenna'....!