tv ariel

we have a bog standard tv ariel and it goes through a booster,up till this year we have had great reception on all channels and digital ones,now the bbc 1and 2 on digital are really bad,someone said our ariel needs renewing as it has been up over 10yrs,also there are trees in full leaf which we were told is affecting digital signals,so,question is what new one should i buy that will give best resuls on both freeview and analogue,thanks for your advice

Reply to
bob

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 06:38:35 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be bob wrote this:-

and are the best sites for looking up the basics. Do that and come back with any more detailed questions you may have. At the moment any answer would be so general as to be pretty worthless.

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , bob scribeth thus

  1. Its Aerial;)..

What transmitter are you using?.

Where are you?.

Where is the aerial located i.e. Wall, loft, chimney?..

How far away are the trees and how high are they relatively?.

Any change of posting a few pix anywhere, often worth more than 10,000 words;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but our analogue (say when I want to watch analogue while recording digital or cable), has taken a marked decline recently. Once upon a time all channels were fine bar 5: now they are pretty well all as bad as 5 was. Looks to me like signals are being deliberately reduced to make people switch to all digital.

spamlet

and do learn to spell Aerial differently from the Shakespearian character, and the soap powder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had to switch back to analogue to watch channel 4 on friday. Digital mux was crapped out that night. Sudbury TX.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , spamlet scribeth thus

No not the case, well no evidence of it anywhere.

Seems the whole is failing where you are!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I cant help thinking there's an assumption there that the aerial is the problem, when its more likely to be something else. Co-ax terminations are frequent offenders.

NT

Reply to
NT

Antenna!

At least, the university research group is the Antennas Group...

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's a horrid septicism*

And really should apply only to yagis and other contorted stuff. A long piece of wire, is surely not an antenna!

*as in septic tank..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, it derives from the Latin, so I think not.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm, Probably rats or sheer weight of wood pigeons again then! Still I can't be bothered to chase it up when they are going to be shutting the lot down before long anyway...

Cheers, S

Reply to
spamlet

As is water in the co-ax, now that can cause some odd problems. Any idea which transmitter the OP is using at all?..

Reply to
tony sayer

You on Crystal Palace by any chance? I thought it was just the trees growing!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Not sure: I'm in Luton but we get the 'London' channels.

spamlet

that might well be sandy heath then..no..not if its london channels. Hmm. Could be you should be pointing at Sandy heath getting Anglia rather than Hemel Hempstead, which is piss poor power.

May Monsieur Sayer knows better?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am. And was tending to agree with spamlet. Is there a current issue with CP?

Reply to
Grumps

Quite right.

But we are talking domestic here. And "antenna" in that context is yank so can't be right.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Latin...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I get a very strong signal and perfect reception of analogue/digital but only in winter. Come summer, an uncooperative tree, 1/2 mile away and in direct line of sight of the Emley Transmitter, grows a lot of those leaf things and wipes out nearly all the digital channels. (I can still get Tommy Walsh but that's pretty much all I'd be watching anyway :) An aerial rigger said the best I could do would be to try and reposition the aerial on another part of the house.

Reply to
john