B & D Light Bar

Just bought one of these

bright indeed, rechargeable. Spec says it has an input voltage of

12vdc, an input current of 300mA max and a battery described as 3.6v 1.5Ah SLA.

I assume the SLA means Sealed Lead Acid?

It also mentions an approx charging time of 10 hours, and specifically warns against charging for more than 10 hours.

Am I OK to opportunity charge this, or do I have to wait until it almost discharges like a drill driver?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looks an odd shape to squeze a lead acid cell into, does it weight a ton? Other websites seem to describe it as NiMH, in which case you could use and charge as you saw fit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, very light in weight, thats what confused me when I saw SLA on the spec. I've only looked at the B&D site so far.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Take your pick of foreign languages

Andy Burns

3.6v is also an odd voltage for lead acid which are a nominal 2v/cell. It could have a couple of cyclon type cells I guess but they still have a fair bit of weight. NiMH are nominally 1.2v so three of them makes the maths on the voltage work. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Something wrong there. Nicads etc are nominally 1.2 volts per cell while lead acid 1.5v. So SLA would be either 3 or 4.5 volts. Although in practice any lamp I've seen that uses SLA is 12 volts, using standard burglar alarm batteries.

FWIW I've got two rechargeable devices that use SLA - a car jump start pack and a 55W torch. Both chargers switch off when the battery is charged. By the look of that lamp it uses NiCads etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mustn't post before the coffee kicks in. Make that 2 volts for lead acid so 2 or 4 volts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The battery LED lamp rod from Black & Decker convinced by their ergonomic design and sturdy construction. The rubber grip area is the perfect lamp rod in his hand. With around 360 ° rotating suspension can be found in virtually every field perfectly lit. Due to the multi-stage switch, the light will either saving mode with 13 or for maximum luminosity with all 26 LED's running. The unbreakable poly-carbon casing is splash and stresses, as well as the long-LED high life of the new lamp rod.. The maximum burn time is around 7 hours' battery operation. The integrated NiMH battery guaranteed permanent readiness. With the included charger can also directly operated lamp.

Nice to know I have the perfect rod in my hand :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No you haven't... :(

Reply to