Automatic Telephone (Old electrics for Owain and JGH)

And for anyone else that cares or is interested.

fully scanned and not proof read for blurry images.

I had to stop scanning the last few pages last night as the gf had put on some crotchless knickers.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Tell her it's customary to sit on the scanner.

I have a copy of "The Complete Handyman" Odhams Press, 1938 I will scan the table of contents, and chapters on demand if anyone wants.

Reply to
Graham.

Me. I want to see it. And I suspect so would a few others.

Is there a wireless doorbell section? Please scan the table of contents.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Brings back happy memories seeing the Seimens preselector. Finished my apprenticeship - very good I was too ;-))) - then started in a Siemens 16 exchange in 1962. Had five enjoyable years there.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I am obleeged.

How indescribably selfish of her :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Perhaps she had them on her head, and pencils up her nose, and kept saying 'wibble'... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

If anyone is interested in this stuff, the two volumes of Atkinson, on telephony, make fascinating reading.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You are welcome:-)

I could not find a better name for the folder.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Oh the memories came flooding back Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

with wires I'm afraid. Mainly for summoning the servants.

Reply to
Graham.

I have two copies of each! Together with their predecessors by Herbert and Proctor, and Herbert's "Telegraphy" dated 1926, but originally published in 1906.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I think I have that book too..but mine looks more like 1914!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Required reading in my long-gone phone hacking days.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, is it?

Reply to
Huge

I'm not sure which colour "box" it came in, but I discovered accidentally that you could make free calls on a reciprocal basis on our exchange if the called party momentarily looped the line to answer the call, but routed the audio to and from the line via a DC blocking capacitor.

It was a genuine accident that led me to this discovery, the home made telephone answering machine that I was testing sometimes didn't latch its answer relay correctly, and when I placed test calls from the local phone box my message would get recorded, and no pips! About 1970.

Reply to
Graham.

The last 3 scans have just uploaded.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ta.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You lot may well already know this one.

an interesting read. I stole the whole site and have it on DVD.

Reply to
Periproct

That reminds me - I lent my copies to a colleague a while ago, along with a 300 series bakelite phone - must see about getting them back...

Reply to
docholliday93

I have H&P 1 and Atkinson 1 & 2, and also the Atkinson Supplement to Vol 2.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've got Povey & Earl, which I think Owain gave me.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston