Auntie freeze

That's about as ambiguous as it gets...

Reply to
Spike

Gin or Vodka ?

Reply to
Andrew

Well, if a product doesn't say something, you're getting the worst of the options. You're buying water.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Clear anti-freeze? Thought it was all colour coded to denote type.

If you're not sure if it is pure anti-freeze rather than ready mixed, just use it neat. Can't really be too strong a mix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm. Modern long life stuff is said to attack some of the metals you might find in an older car - like ferrous and copper.

Anti-freeze that is kind to that isn't as long life.

So I'd read the handbook and get the correct stuff for your car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From my recollection, the engine fuel type has no bearing on the antifreeze specification which is far more affected by the engine materials. Alloy and cast iron mixes needing something to prevent an electrolytic action slowly rotting the cylinder head - ethylene glycol. Whilst all-iron engines could happily use (m)ethanol based antifreezes. Which were a lot cheaper. (You can already hear the scamster motor mechanics eyes light up ....)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I believe that is not true; something to do with the thermal capacity of glycol compared with water.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Is this anti freeze or screenwash ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I grant you it?s ambiguous but 30 seconds of internet searching answers the question unambiguously. Oddly enough, the answer can be found on Bluecol?s web pages. Who?d have thought it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Erm does that not mean you can use it to "top-up" the stuff already in your car .

Reply to
soup

Yes. That is why it must be already diluted.

Reply to
Roger Hayter