attic air sealing foam guns?

{{ My first choice for attic air sealing is a professional foam gun, which i use to apply low-expansion foam with a precision control to a wide range of holes and gaps.

Hardware store foam cans are cheaper and smaller but they are also awkward to use and difficult to control. Once you start a can you must use it up quickly or throw it away }}

what advice does the panel have on attic foaming in the UK please?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Have you ever watched "Holmes on Homes" on the Discovery channel (I think)? They do a very good job, all is based in Canada where insulation is a major issue.

They use the foam gun for wall insulation (timber frame), and recycled paper (the one you blow into place with a big pipe) for the attic as they claim that it gives better results.

Just my 2p worth...

Reply to
JoeJoe

I used Toolstation part number 27912 to seal under my eaves carriers. A little tricky at first, but you get used to it, and it does look a bit messy but then nobody is going to see it. Amazing what a difference it has made to the warmth of the room (currently it has no ceiling).

Reply to
Cod Roe

It'd be worth having a quick look for bats before doing this sort of thing. A 15mm gap anywhere in the roof is enough for them to get in (raised tiles etc.), and they're pretty heavily protected (can't handle them, can't disturb them etc without a licence). God knows where they'll actually be within the roof this time of year as they'll be hibernating, so it may be best to do this sort of work in the summer if you're unsure. OTOH if you've got bats nearby you'll probably have seen them in the late evening.

They can eventually get into the interior of the building and whilst this isn't a major health hazard (rabies jabs needed quickly if you get bit, which isn't likely unless you're handling one), it might get you in the wife's badbooks.

Reply to
Doki

You can remove the applicator tube to clean it and the valve using cellulose thinners/acetone. You must clean them completely.

Reply to
1501