Assembling a three-seater sofa

Is there a fire safety label?

Reply to
Jim K..

Sickening but true! FFS!!?

Reply to
Jim K..

I'm putting together a three-seater sofa acquired secondhand: a heavy item, with electric recliners at the two ends. The backs are three separate units with sprung catches to secure them to the base, which is also in three parts.

What slightly surprised me is that the outer seats attach to the centre one in two different ways. One slots into locating housings, giving a fit which is close but still permits a little movement; the other (with similar fixings) is positively sloppy.

Does anyone know if this is a standard arrangement? Perhaps to accommodate possibly uneven floors? I can't see any way of tightening the fixing without removing some of the leather covering and even though it would be in area out of sight I really don't want to do that.

I imagine that the weight of the end unit would prevent much movement anyway: it just - as I say - struck me as slightly surprising.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Bert Coules explained :

The idea is just to make the individual parts stay together and yes, they are very heavy indeed, even in their separate parts. I cannot move our two seater, without some help.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Harry, thanks for that. I've just been looking again and I can't see any way of tightening the fit. It does seem a little strange though that the play is only at one end - but the fact that the fixings are different from those at the other end certainly suggests that it's a deliberate design feature.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Possibly intended for configurations where there's a corner unit as well, so it's not possible to tip the whole thing up/over in the same way as a straight set?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Owain,

That's an interesting thought, and makes sense.

I looked at all three units to see if I could find a maker's label to aid checking, but there isn't one.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If not, one may be obtained from Ebay :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, there isn't.

Reply to
Bert Coules

According to the July Commons Select committee for building regs, adding fire-retardent to furniture foam may have caused additional deaths because of the extra nasty fumes given off when there is a fire.

Reply to
Andrew

If you don't smoke, then I wouldn't be too bothered.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks. Actually, I wasn't: there are far more flammable items in the house.

Reply to
Bert Coules