Asbestos removal costs?

If you're really clever, you get other people to do the work for you :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I'm a highly paid (and I think skilled) in another are entirely.

I too can read this as relaxation. Occasionally I can help someone.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's when you really get busy!

Reply to
mechanic

I thought pink bags for asbestos waste and double bagging was an absolute requirement (and has been for some time).

Ours now charges for all forms of hardcore and requires plasterboard to be in the same zone as the asbestos waste and with OTT weigh in weigh out procedures for even the tiniest amounts. Even I am not that diligent and the new policy has had exactly the opposite effect of its intention.

Namely small amounts of plasterboard waste in the black bin.

Worse we now get industrial levels of fly tipping along the country lanes - so bad that we are running camera traps now.

Martin Brown

So long as you don't do anything to it then I would agree. But once you disturb it then all bets are off as getting nails and screws out will smash up at least some of the board. Also the usual reason for replacing it is that it has started to lose integrity and the roof is leaking.

Exposure to blue asbestos at some point did. The latency period from exposure to fatality can be as much as 40 years. It is hard to prove causality so long after the event but the signature is unmistakable.

It depends how cavalier you are about handling potentially dangerous materials. You never really know what proportion of the really nasty stuff is present in any particular batch of material. Bound together with cement it isn't too bad but the dust is potentially lethal - it will take a long time though.

A similar issue is lurking with talk where a trace of asbestos fibre is certainly present in industrial grades and has been suspected of causing cancer in the cosmetic grade as J&J have recently lost a US court case.

Martin Brown

From a link on our council's website:

"It must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic wrapping prior to arriving at site. You can also use household rubble sacks that can be bought from supermarkets and other outlets, as long as the cement bonded asbestos is contained, double wrapped and sealed within the bags. You will need to take your recent council tax bill or utility bill relating to the property where the waste is from."

No extra charges here - except for garden waste collection (it is still "free" if you take it yourself).

Plasterboard is supposed to be bagged separately to other waste. I agree, it is counterproductive and for small amounts just pushes people to stick it in with the rest of the waste when it could have been placed loose into the plasterboard skip - as they used to allow.

We get a fair bit too, but at least individual householders can still take pretty well anything to the tip themselves.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I shall clarify. Loose asbestos fibres are a danger, in cement bound sheets they're not. That is why no license, training or notification is required for the removal of cement sheet.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr