Asbestos removal costs?

Good point. I don't want to saddle the kids with problems when we kick off.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Much as I did but I put it in hippo type bags with some old dpm as a liner and cover wrap. We delivered it to a licensed landfill in Kent who charged about 30 quid for the conveyance note and £160/tonne with a minimum charge of £500+VAT. Which, at the time about 4 years ago, was only double that for land fill of inert waste.

AJH

Reply to
news

Then don't tell em ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I didn't know that, but it is still quite confusing. Just because it is exempt from CDG doesn't mean that local tips will accept it without double bagging, etc.

My LA will accept householder removed cement asbestos but require you to use their bags, and book a delivery slot in advance. They also say this

"Please note we only provide a limited number of bags for this purpose and only those bags will be accepted when you deliver these to your nearest Household Recycling Centre"

but I don't know whether they would supply enough for a garage roof. It looks as though they won't accept full sheets.

I don't know if they insist on double bagging, but I suppose you only need to use "their" bag for the outside.

Reply to
newshound

Why don't you ask them? Or the local environment protection people? Are you seriously going to rely on the advice from a d-i-y group?

Reply to
mechanic

It came out of the ground to start with !!.

Mostly from places in South Africa and Oz.

Burying it under a thick layer of disposable nappies is probably the best way to dispose of it.

Reply to
Andrew

I visited a fairly large and old asbestos sheeted garage today, could park six estate cars in there, two side by side and the rest piled on top. OK, that's maybe a silly guide but ye get the idea.

Looking at the roof, it's possibly that 10% cement based thing, that could be DIY bagged. The walls however are also asbestos sheet of a different color and look.

Owner bought the place in 2011. I wonder if the surveyors pointed out the construction and future costs.

The thing looks an eyesore, broken windows etc....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Place near Peterborough takes it they have a hole there it seems to be around 300 odd foot deep!..

Reply to
tony sayer

You can DIY. Here is the official government info.

harry

In many cases yes, why not? Ultimately you are not taking advice from a faceless "group", but from individuals - many of whom have professional experience in a range of disciplines. If you have been around here a while you soon learn which can be relied on for sound advice on various topics.

Reply to
John Rumm

It depends on your council. Ours requires asbestos cement sheets to be double bagged and placed in their dedicated, closed topped, asbestos skip. They do not require any specific type of bag and they do not charge householders.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

hard to find a better place for diy enquiries. Perhaps 'mechanic' knows of one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much free time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round here is far too busy to do so.

Reply to
mechanic

Not really relevant, mate. Here we are talking about regulations regarding safe transport and disposal of hazardous material, not about laying bricks.

Reply to
mechanic

If you're very good, you don't need to work all the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not the OP. I don't currently have any to dispose of. I'm just reporting what I know of the policy in *my* area for general interest.

Reply to
newshound

This is why we provide links to the official sites. Including someone pointing out a detail which may well not be generally known, namely that asbestos cement does *not* come under the transport regs for dangerous materials. Even though some disreputable contractors may well make alarming claims to help justify inflated prices.

Reply to
newshound

I can think of a few reasons. I know what mine are for having the time. IIUC you can't think of any.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

so you don't know of one

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Probably a pretty good strategy there. Up at Dounreay, in the OP's neck of the woods, the decision to dump nasty stuff down a supposedly sealed vertical shaft several decades ago has come back to bite them (or rather us, as it is the taxpayer who is funding the recovery).

Reply to
newshound