Asbestos

Today, Tony Blair unveils a stand-alone Bill to help the widows of asbestos victims. This is a pretty bold manoeuvre which, much to the chagrin of the insurance lobby, has been applauded by the press.
In essence, the Bill aims to overturn a ruling by the Law Lords in May which stated that damages should be split between the employers in those cases where more than one employer exposed the victim to asbestos
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=1&subIDV2

Today?
Can anyone find the text of this Bill anywhere? Or is it possible that after shooting from the hip and promising a draft Bill by today, the Prime Minister has been advised that his wishes are unrealistic? Maybe the Department of Dodgy Dossiers isn't very expert in the drafting of parliamentary Bills....?

So my widow will get some compensation. Does buggerall for me sitting here waiting to see if the damage to my lungs spreads and not being able to say just where I worked with asbestos in order to claim some compensation.

Whatever this Bill might say, there is no way your widow would have any better claim than you do. If you have no right to compensation, then neither does your widow.
You haven't said what asbestos-related condition you have, but it won't necessarily spread. And are you sure you cannot remember *any* exposure to asbestos from any source?
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:18:44 +0100, The Todal wrote:

It's not unusual. Many of the companies working with asbestos fibre were less than careful over the control of asbestos used at several sites around the UK. There were reports of poor quality dumping into landfill with a thin scrape of soil over the top which eroded allowing fibres to be blown in the wind. Also some factories in urban areas simply vented fibres into the air via the extraction systems.
Much use was also made of "cyclones" for the movement of asbestos fibre. That is fibres were blown along ducts by air pressure to move them from one part of the factory to another, then at point of use separated from the airflow by a cyclone. These are the devices that Mr Dyson used as inspiration for his vacuum cleaner and they do not provide 100%R effective separation of air and fibres allowing fibres to blow in the wind, often for huge distances.
I recall a BBC documentary from the 1970s which showed that the majority of dust in the roof spaces of houses in the vicinity of asbestos weaving sheds was asbestos.
In these conditions it is easy for individuals to become affected by asbestos but to have no clear idea of which company was responsible. It's also worth noting that up until very recently all friction materials (clutches, brakes etc) used in cars contained asbestos. The dust from these products was a large part of roadside dust and exposure could have occurred from this source. It only needs a single asbestos fibre to cause mesothelioma.

Which often gets read as "a single asbestos fibre will cause mesothelioma", which if true would mean almost all of us would have it, particularly those who lived near asbestos factories or who used the stuff as kids in school chemistry labs.
--
Skipweasel
Steve Firth wrote:

The use of asbestos in these components was been phased out over a number of years prior to the ban on using asbestos in these components bought in in 1999. The use of asbestos in components for pre '73 vehicles was stopped in 2005 ISTR. "Asbestos free" has been used as a selling point for at least 20 years

Extreme asbestos exposure by no means always results in that, though - it's quite extraordinary. A documentary some years ago showed workers literally white with the stuff. Not nice.
On 19 Jun 2006 21:10:23 +0200, Chris Bacon wrote:

Which is no consolation for those of us who were exposed ito it, without our knowledge, for thirty years.

I think there must be many people who get asbestos-related diseases without knowing the source of the asbestos but it is often possible to remember a source at work if you try hard enough. One claimant who worked in a university building successfully pursued a claim on the basis that asbestos ceiling tiles were removed during a refurbishment project and broken up and left in a public area for a while. Those who worked with vehicle brakes have successfully claimed exposure from asbestos brake shoes. Those who have ever helped clear up after a building has been fire-damaged, may be able to show that asbestos tiles or partitions were broken and that there was exposure whilst clearing up the debris. Anyone who has worked as a tradesman (carpenter, electrician, plumber) can plausibly argue that they were exposed whilst drilling through asbestos partitions or shelves.

One example is a large council housing estate in the Borough of Barking, built on the site of the old Cape asbestos factory.

Indeed, there is no "safe" level. What doctors are currently agreed on, however, is that there is a delay of at least 10 years between the exposure to the fibre and the presentation with symptoms of mesothelioma. In other words exposure less than 10 years before presentation with symptoms will not be causative.
On 9 Oct 2006 11:30:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I would have thought that the people who's job it is to know, healthcare workers in a heavy industry that has used asbestos, would have some idea.
Maybe they have but don't want to say.
Clough
Be gratefull he's getting rid of it. Don't lean over the fence watching him. My local authority used to have an asbestos disposal facility- I seem to recall it had to be bagged. Does your neighbour seem to have a death wish?

IIRC ours doesn't require sheets of roofing and the like to be bagged as they realise that they've been like that for years and breaking them up to bag them would only make things worse.
--
Skipweasel
Mesothelioma is very rare. Lung diseases like silicosis and asbestosis are far more common. You will know if you have "clogged up lungs", but only the doctor who does the post mortem will be able to say what the dominant cause was, and only then if they take sections and carry out microscopic analysis.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:39:28 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Fuck off - as usual - nothing positive to contribute.
The Todal Wrote:

When was it first discovered that asbestos caused cancer
-- pebe
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:39:28 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That was what you posted on the Cancer Group when the poor chap said he only had a few days to live. You denied it was you but you now show you simply don't care about anyone. Scum

No problem. I have had things in perspective for some years now.
When the asbestos scare started I got the impression from the way things are reported, and still are, that it was only a matter of time before I inevitably contracted mesothelioma.
I have done a bit of research since and found that the possibility of dying from mesothelioma is just one more danger on the same scale as the myriad of others facing those of us past 60 years old. Other cancers, heart failure and many other ilnesses and even driving to town. You have to die from something eventually anyway.
It's just that reporting about asbsetos diseases reads a little like "One driving trip to town centre is enough to kill or permanently cripple you and all car owners are in danger." Yes, but those who drive cars have perspective and know what the statement means. Those who have been in contact with asbestos do not necessarily have any perspective and my experience has shown that no one, including doctors and other health professionals, are prepared to provide any.
One thing that does concern me, though.
I have been in contact with asbestos dust in a few of the places I have worked over the last 40 years, but if I do contract mesothelioma then the only one I will admit is the steelworks where I insulated cables with asbestos in the 1970's. They acknowledge that I worked with asbestos there, so that settles it for me. I have someone to sue for compensation should the need arise.
It's there that my problem begins. If I do contract mesothelioma there is no way I am going to submit to treatment and let the illness run its inevitable course. I am going to take a large amount of LSD every day for a week or so to enhance the right frame of mind and then overdose on heroin. What worries me if this 'suicide' will affect any compensation my wife might expect.
Clough

I have often found that all the workmates of a mesothelioma victim are hale and healthy and have a normal lifespan, but of course once people start asking them about how much asbestos they were using it does tend to leave them feeling rather depressed about their future.
I worry about when I changed brake blocks and brake shoes 20 years ago.

Interesting question but I don't think it would, not so long as a definite diagnosis had been made.
It is something I often wonder about - whether I would do as everyone else does and accept the treatment that will lengthen your life by 6 to 10 months, or let the disease take its course as quickly as possible, or commit suicide. I think when people are actually in that position they usually follow medical advice and cling to life as long as possible and it would take a great effort of will to rebel.

Thanks, that is very good information and just the sort of thing I want to know. I do not understand why the health professionals I have talked to over the years have been so non-committal and extremely reluctant to say anything.

It was white asbestos cloth and rope and threw up a thin haze of particles while being wrapped around the cables. I insulated cables this way perhaps three or four times a month for about 10 years.
Clough

If the sheets were not broken or crumbling, it is unlikely you were exposed to any significant quantities of asbestos.
It is of course possible for any of us to be exposed to asbestos without even knowing. I am aware of a case involving a theatre manager who has contracted mesothelioma. The only exposure of which he is aware is to a fire-curtain which is old, frayed and crumbling, and probably also to sprayed-on asbestos coatings on steelwork in the building. Visitors would probably have been unaware of any risk, but who knows how many theatregoers as well as actors and backstage staff could have been exposed. Nobody will ever tell them.

This would be pleural plaques or pleural thickening, currently the subject of an appeal to the House of Lords after a Court of Appeal ruling that symptomless damage to a lung is not compensatable. And fortunately, the chances of you becoming breathless are fairly low.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2006/27.html